About Me

My photo
FRANK ASHTON CLASSIC ITALIAN AND ADDITIONAL RECIPES: My name is Frank Ashton and I live in the Cleveland Ohio area. I was a high school art teacher for 33 years. I love painting,especially Impressionism; and traveling with my wife; but my other love is for cooking. Over the years I have probably cooked for some 20,000 people. This includes cooking free for many groups to raise funds for worthy causes. Most of my recipes are original from me and some from my mother or my wife Dottie. This has led me to decide to share my original recipes with others. This site has 110 recipes to date! My goal is to be able to give real recipes that really are excellent. One should not expect anything exotic; but I will guarantee they will impress anyone who loves to eat. FIRST GO TO GOOGLE AND PRINT IN THE WHITE BOX FRANK ASHTON ORIGINAL RECIPES AND CLICK ON THAT. Frank Ashton Original Recipes should come up. To print a recipe save it to favorites and then click on the recipe on favorites and you will then be able to print it. THERE ARE OVER 50 VEGETARIAN (MEAT FREE) RECIPES LOOK FOR THE ASTERISK * IN FRONT OF EACH RECIPE OR WORDS VEGETARIAN STYLE

Monday, August 26, 2013

MUSSEL SOUP WITH WINE AND VEGIES, ASHTON STYLE # 201


The difference between mussels and clams are that mussels are sweeter and more tender. Clams are more pronounced in flavor and the meat of a clam can be tough. I love both of these shell fish and use them in various
ways such as clams and linquini, fish stew, and Piaya, (a spanish seafood and rice platter) The following recipe is one that I use mussels and is a cross between a soup and a chowder. I urge you to try it and see for yourself if you
like it:
IGREDIENTS:
2 to 3 lbs of Prince Edward Mussels, washed
2 medium onions peeled, cut in half and minced
4 carrots peeled and minced
4 stalks of celery minced
1/2 jar of red pepper in oil
1 1/2 cups of white sparkling wine
3 cups of fish stock that I get from
a local fish market and simmer in 3
cups of water
1 cup rough cut parsley
4 cloves of garlic, smashed, peeled and minced
1/2 tsp of pepper
2 tbl of Millers or equivilent Chicken Base
1 cup of heavy cream
1 cup of half and half
DIRECTIONS:
1. in a large soup pot add the sparkling wine
over moderate heat
2. add the mussels and simmer until the mussels
open up (set aside) reserve the liquid
3. in a large fry pan pour the 1/2 cup of olive
oil over moderate heat
4. add the onions and 1/2 jar of red pepper and
simmer until the onions and red pepper are slightly brown
mince the red pepper
5. add the garlic and continue to saute about
4 or 5 minutes
6. add the carrots, parsley, minced red pepper, and water and
continue to saute about 5 to 8 minutes
7. empty the vegtables and liquid into the soup
pot and stir well
8. strain the fish stock and add to the soup pot
simmer about 10 to 15 minutes
9. add the heavy cream and half and half and stir
well
10. add a tbs of sugar and stir in
11. taste for flavor
12. this recipe should serve 4 to 6 people

No comments:

Post a Comment