About Me

My photo
FRANK ASHTON CLASSIC ITALIAN AND ADDITIONAL RECIPES: My name is Frank Ashton and I live in the Cleveland Ohio area. I was a high school art teacher for 33 years. I love painting,especially Impressionism; and traveling with my wife; but my other love is for cooking. Over the years I have probably cooked for some 20,000 people. This includes cooking free for many groups to raise funds for worthy causes. Most of my recipes are original from me and some from my mother or my wife Dottie. This has led me to decide to share my original recipes with others. This site has 110 recipes to date! My goal is to be able to give real recipes that really are excellent. One should not expect anything exotic; but I will guarantee they will impress anyone who loves to eat. FIRST GO TO GOOGLE AND PRINT IN THE WHITE BOX FRANK ASHTON ORIGINAL RECIPES AND CLICK ON THAT. Frank Ashton Original Recipes should come up. To print a recipe save it to favorites and then click on the recipe on favorites and you will then be able to print it. THERE ARE OVER 50 VEGETARIAN (MEAT FREE) RECIPES LOOK FOR THE ASTERISK * IN FRONT OF EACH RECIPE OR WORDS VEGETARIAN STYLE

Friday, August 30, 2013

FRENCH CRIMINI MUSHROOM PIE TO DIE FOR, ASHTON STYLE #205



Mushrooms have such a distinctive aroma uncooked or cooked. The flavor really comes out when you cook them with onions and butter. The recipe I am giving you is a variation of the marriage of mushrooms, butter and onions. I hope you will find it as tasty as I have. Please let me know what you think of this fragrant pie!
INGREDIENTS:
3 or 4 lbs of crimini, porchini, or other mushrooms thin sliced
2 yellow onions, peeled, cut in half and thin sliced
4 or 5 cloves of garlic, smashed, peeled and cut in half
3 carrots, peeled and thinly sliced
1/2 cup of virgin olive oil
1 1/2 sticks of butter but save the 1/2 stick till
needed later
1/4 cup of flour to thicken the sauce for the
mushrooms
1/2 cup of white port wine
1/2 cup of Pinot Grigio white wine
2 tbls of Millers or equivilent
chicken base
1 tbls of Kitchen Bouquet
1/2 cup of parsley, dried or fresh cut
1 9 inch pie pan to make a pie crust
1 large egg mixed with a little water and
stired well
DIRECTIONS:
1. pour the olive oil into a large fry
pan over moderate heat
2. add the onions and saute about 10 minutes
3. now add the garlic and continue to saute
an additional 5 or so minutes and remove
both the onions and garlic and set aside
4. add the butter to the fry pan and stir in
with the olive oil
5. now add half the sliced mushrooms and saute
until the mushrooms are slightly brown, remove
and set aside
6. add a little more olive oil and the 1/2 stick
of butter and the parsley to the pan and stir
until all is melted and combined
7. now add the rest of the mushrooms, the onions.
the carrots, and saute until all are are slightly brown
8. return the first mushrooms and combine all the mushrooms
together
9.. now mix the flour in a small bowl with first a 1/4 cup
of the wine stiring until it is the thickness of heavy
cream, then add an additional 1/2 cup to thin it somewhat
10. now add the thickener into the mushrooms and then add the
rest of the two wines into the mushrooms and incorporate
well
AT THIS TIME YOU CAN MAKE THE TOP AND BOTTOM PIE CRUST USING
USING RECIPE # 75 OR YOUR OWN DOUGH
1. roll out the bottom crust and put it into a 9 inch
pie pan, then put into a pre heated 425 degree oven
for 10 minutes and remove
2. now add the mushroom mixture into the crust and even
it out
3. now add the top crust and flute the edges and put cuts
into the top to let the steam out.
4. brush the egg mixture on the top of the pie and place
in a 350 degree oven for about a half an hour until the
crust is nicely brown
5. this pie will serve 6 to 8 people generously

No comments:

Post a Comment