About Me

My photo
FRANK ASHTON CLASSIC ITALIAN AND ADDITIONAL RECIPES: My name is Frank Ashton and I live in the Cleveland Ohio area. I was a high school art teacher for 33 years. I love painting,especially Impressionism; and traveling with my wife; but my other love is for cooking. Over the years I have probably cooked for some 20,000 people. This includes cooking free for many groups to raise funds for worthy causes. Most of my recipes are original from me and some from my mother or my wife Dottie. This has led me to decide to share my original recipes with others. This site has 110 recipes to date! My goal is to be able to give real recipes that really are excellent. One should not expect anything exotic; but I will guarantee they will impress anyone who loves to eat. FIRST GO TO GOOGLE AND PRINT IN THE WHITE BOX FRANK ASHTON ORIGINAL RECIPES AND CLICK ON THAT. Frank Ashton Original Recipes should come up. To print a recipe save it to favorites and then click on the recipe on favorites and you will then be able to print it. THERE ARE OVER 50 VEGETARIAN (MEAT FREE) RECIPES LOOK FOR THE ASTERISK * IN FRONT OF EACH RECIPE OR WORDS VEGETARIAN STYLE

Saturday, August 10, 2013

LEEK AND POTATO SOUP, ASHTON STYLE #191



leeks are related to onions but are more mild. For me their excellent for soups and also excellent
comined with potatos such as scallop potatoes,mashed potatoes, one pot meals and other recipes. The recipe
I am giving you is a traditional way of making a very delicious soup with leeks and potatoes. I urge you to
try it as I am sure you will like it.
INGREDIENTS:
one,3 lb frying chicken simmered in 2 qts of
2 qts of water with the chicken base for about
1 1/2 hrs and then removed and used for chicken
salad or you can dice the chicken and use them in
your leek, potato soup and change the name to leek,
potato and chicken soup
3 or 4 large leeks cut and washed as it is common
to have dirt between the leek leaves and slice all
the white and all the light green part of the leeks
about a half inch each; disgard the darker green
6 potatoes, peeled and diced
4 carrots, peeled and sliced into pieces
2 medium onions, peeled, cut in half and sliced
4 cloves of garlic, peeled, smashed, cut in half
and smashed again
1/2 cup of parsley, fresh or dried
2 tbls of Millers or equivilent chicken base
1 stick of butter
1 cup of heavy cream
1/2 cup of virgin olive oil
1/2 tsp of white pepper
(optional- 2 good pinches of saffron
DIRECTIONS:
1. put 2 qts of water into a large soup pot
2. add the soup base and the whole chicken
and bring to a boil and simmered about
1 1/2 hrs and then remove the chicken
and reserve the chicken stock
pour the 1/2 cup of virgin olive oil into
a large fry pan
3. add half of the butter and stir into the
oil until melted
4. add the leeks, carrots, potatoes, garlic
and onions and saute until all are slightly
brown
5. add all the vegtables into the stock and
stir in until incorporated
6. add saffron, heavy cream, and pepper into
the stock and simmer about another 40 minutes
until well incorporated
7. this recipe will serve 6 to 8 persons

No comments:

Post a Comment