About Me

My photo
FRANK ASHTON CLASSIC ITALIAN AND ADDITIONAL RECIPES: My name is Frank Ashton and I live in the Cleveland Ohio area. I was a high school art teacher for 33 years. I love painting,especially Impressionism; and traveling with my wife; but my other love is for cooking. Over the years I have probably cooked for some 20,000 people. This includes cooking free for many groups to raise funds for worthy causes. Most of my recipes are original from me and some from my mother or my wife Dottie. This has led me to decide to share my original recipes with others. This site has 110 recipes to date! My goal is to be able to give real recipes that really are excellent. One should not expect anything exotic; but I will guarantee they will impress anyone who loves to eat. FIRST GO TO GOOGLE AND PRINT IN THE WHITE BOX FRANK ASHTON ORIGINAL RECIPES AND CLICK ON THAT. Frank Ashton Original Recipes should come up. To print a recipe save it to favorites and then click on the recipe on favorites and you will then be able to print it. THERE ARE OVER 50 VEGETARIAN (MEAT FREE) RECIPES LOOK FOR THE ASTERISK * IN FRONT OF EACH RECIPE OR WORDS VEGETARIAN STYLE

Wednesday, August 14, 2013

ITALIAN ROAST DUCK WITH VEGTABLES AND TOMATO SAUCE ASHTON STYLE, # 198



There are many variations of this recipe and so I thought that it would be alright to include one that is a combination of my mothers, grandmothers, my aunts and uncles and of course with my own style. I hope you will try it and its ok to add your own version.
INGREDIENTS:
1 whole 4 lb domestic duck
1 lb of crimini or button
mushrooms cut in half
1/2 cup virgin olive oil
bouquet garni, sprig of basil, sprig
of thyme,fresh parsley and 3 bay leaves tied
1 tbls of dried oregano
5 to 6 cloves of garlic, peeled
and smashed
2 medium onions, peeled, cut in
half and sliced
6 oz of Contadina Tomato paste
1 large can Contadina crushed
tomatos
3/4 cup Pino Grigio wine
3/4 cup of white port wine
1 stick of butter
1 tbls of Millers or equivilent
Chicken base
1 tsp black pepper
DIRECTIONS:
1. cut the duck into pieces
2. pour the oil into a large fry
pan over moderate heat and saute
duck until the pieces are all nicely brown
on all sides (set aside)
3. add the onions. green peppers, garlic
and spices into the same large fry pan
4. saute until all the vegtables are slightly
brown (set aside)
5. (you may have to add just a little more oil
for the next steps)but first add the stick of
butter in pieces into the pan and saute until the
mushrooms are slightly brown (set aside)
6. now add the tomato paste into the fry pan
and saute about 8 minutes
7. now add the crushed tomatos into the pan
with the tomato paste and stir well about
another 10 minutes continuely stiring until
all is incorporated
8. now return the duck and all the vegtables
back in the fry pan and stir in well and then
add the Pinot Pinot Grigio and white port wine
into the pan and incorporate the wine
with the duck and vegtables. Continue sauteing
for a good 3/4 hrs until the meat is done
9. you may wish to thicken the sauce by adding
either a couple of tsp spoons of flour or
cornstarch in a 1/4 cup of sherry wine and
stir until smooth
10. add the thickener to the duck a
litle at a time until it is rich and smooth
10. this recipe will serve 6 to 8 persons
generously. (Duck can have a lot of oil that
you may wish to skim off before serving)

No comments:

Post a Comment