About Me

My photo
FRANK ASHTON CLASSIC ITALIAN AND ADDITIONAL RECIPES: My name is Frank Ashton and I live in the Cleveland Ohio area. I was a high school art teacher for 33 years. I love painting,especially Impressionism; and traveling with my wife; but my other love is for cooking. Over the years I have probably cooked for some 20,000 people. This includes cooking free for many groups to raise funds for worthy causes. Most of my recipes are original from me and some from my mother or my wife Dottie. This has led me to decide to share my original recipes with others. This site has 110 recipes to date! My goal is to be able to give real recipes that really are excellent. One should not expect anything exotic; but I will guarantee they will impress anyone who loves to eat. FIRST GO TO GOOGLE AND PRINT IN THE WHITE BOX FRANK ASHTON ORIGINAL RECIPES AND CLICK ON THAT. Frank Ashton Original Recipes should come up. To print a recipe save it to favorites and then click on the recipe on favorites and you will then be able to print it. THERE ARE OVER 50 VEGETARIAN (MEAT FREE) RECIPES LOOK FOR THE ASTERISK * IN FRONT OF EACH RECIPE OR WORDS VEGETARIAN STYLE

Wednesday, July 17, 2013

SPICY GOOSEBERRY JAM, ASHTON STYLE # 174

For 3 years my wife and I have tried to harvest gooseberries to make gooseberry jam. The following recipe is the one we made and it worked very well.  Gooseberries are little round balls that begin green with small stripes and when they are ripe they turn purple.  We collected 1 gallon of them and the recipe that follows is the result.  I hope you will try it and like our recipe.
INGREDIENTS FOR A SINGLE RECIPE IS AS FOLLOWS: WE DID DOUBLE IT TO MAKE A DOUBLE RECIPE:
     2 qts of gooseberries smashed
     6 cups of sugar, either white or
     or brown
     1 cup of either cider vinegar or
     or plain apple cider
     2 lg packages of strawberry jello
     1/2 tsp of ground cloves
     1/2 tsp of ground cinnamon
     1/2 tsp of ground nutmeg
     zest of 1 lemon
DIRECTIONS:
     1. smash the gooseberries to
         make 2 qts
     2. pour them into a large soup
         pot
     3. add the 6 cups of sugar
     4. add the spices
     5. add the 2 lg packages of jello
     6. add either the cider or cider
         vinegar
     7. using a flame deflector between
         the pot and the burner simmer
         about an hr or an hr and a half
    8. pour into 1/2 pints or pint jars
        and use a water bath about 10
        minutes, remove and wait until
        the top pops.
    

No comments:

Post a Comment