About Me

My photo
FRANK ASHTON CLASSIC ITALIAN AND ADDITIONAL RECIPES: My name is Frank Ashton and I live in the Cleveland Ohio area. I was a high school art teacher for 33 years. I love painting,especially Impressionism; and traveling with my wife; but my other love is for cooking. Over the years I have probably cooked for some 20,000 people. This includes cooking free for many groups to raise funds for worthy causes. Most of my recipes are original from me and some from my mother or my wife Dottie. This has led me to decide to share my original recipes with others. This site has 110 recipes to date! My goal is to be able to give real recipes that really are excellent. One should not expect anything exotic; but I will guarantee they will impress anyone who loves to eat. FIRST GO TO GOOGLE AND PRINT IN THE WHITE BOX FRANK ASHTON ORIGINAL RECIPES AND CLICK ON THAT. Frank Ashton Original Recipes should come up. To print a recipe save it to favorites and then click on the recipe on favorites and you will then be able to print it. THERE ARE OVER 50 VEGETARIAN (MEAT FREE) RECIPES LOOK FOR THE ASTERISK * IN FRONT OF EACH RECIPE OR WORDS VEGETARIAN STYLE

Thursday, July 18, 2013

HAMBURGER, SAUSAGE,(ARMY SOS) CREAM SAUCE OVER TOAST ASHTON STYLE #178

When I was in the army one of the best meals we would have believe it or not was SOS.  It was made with hamburger, sausage, or dried beef.  It was cooked in large pans which you added flour, cream, sometimes minced onions, salt and pepper. It was one meal you could have for breakfast, lunch or dinner. I can't remember anyone complaining about this meal though we used to kid each other about eating it. The recipe that follows is a variation of the recipe that we ate in the army and I hope if you were in the army, marines, navy even the coastguard, it should bring back memories of times past.
INGREDIENTS:
1 lb of ground chuck
1/2 lb of ground pork
sausage
1/3 cup virgin olive oil
1 onion, peeled and minced
2 cups milk
1 cup half and half
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp Millers Soup Base
DIRECTIONS:
1. pour the olive oil into
   a large fry pan over moderate
   heat
2. add the onions and saute until
   slightly brown
3. add the ground chuck and pork
    sausage into the fry pan and saute
   until well browned
4. in a sauce pan over moderate heat
   mix the Millers Soup base with a
   cup of milk and stir well until
  the soup base is well incorporated
 and then pour over the ground meat
5. add the other cup of milk to the
   beef /pork mixture plus the cup of half
   and half and stir well
6. add the ground pepper and stir
   in well
7. toast the white bread, place on
   a plate and spoon the hamburger
  mixture to cover the bread and
  serve

    

No comments:

Post a Comment