About Me

My photo
FRANK ASHTON CLASSIC ITALIAN AND ADDITIONAL RECIPES: My name is Frank Ashton and I live in the Cleveland Ohio area. I was a high school art teacher for 33 years. I love painting,especially Impressionism; and traveling with my wife; but my other love is for cooking. Over the years I have probably cooked for some 20,000 people. This includes cooking free for many groups to raise funds for worthy causes. Most of my recipes are original from me and some from my mother or my wife Dottie. This has led me to decide to share my original recipes with others. This site has 110 recipes to date! My goal is to be able to give real recipes that really are excellent. One should not expect anything exotic; but I will guarantee they will impress anyone who loves to eat. FIRST GO TO GOOGLE AND PRINT IN THE WHITE BOX FRANK ASHTON ORIGINAL RECIPES AND CLICK ON THAT. Frank Ashton Original Recipes should come up. To print a recipe save it to favorites and then click on the recipe on favorites and you will then be able to print it. THERE ARE OVER 50 VEGETARIAN (MEAT FREE) RECIPES LOOK FOR THE ASTERISK * IN FRONT OF EACH RECIPE OR WORDS VEGETARIAN STYLE

Monday, July 15, 2013

NORWEGIAN MEATBALLS "KJOTTBOLLER" IN SAUCE ASHTON STYLE #172

In one of my Norwegian wife's favorite movie the Hanson family is very close to my wifes family.  Mama reminds us of  Dotties mother Martha.  Certainly the Norgweian food is similar including how mama made her Norwegian meatballs and cooked them by boiling them in "Chocbolla" which is a stock made with chicken or beef .  The following recipe is a variation of what mama did to make her meatballs so much better than "the aunts" recipe.  I hope you will try it and enjoy a little bit of  Norway!
MEAT BALL INGREDIENTS:
     1 lb of ground chuck
     1/2 lb of ground pork
     1 cup of  bread crumbs
     2 eggs
     1 medium onion, peeled and minced
     1 tab Millers Chicken Base
     1 tsp sugar
     1/2 tsp nutmeg
     1/2 tsp ground black pepper
DIRECTIONS;
     1. mix all the ingredients and form them
         into meatballs
     2. pour the 1/2 cup of virgin olive oil
         into a large fry pan
     3. add the meatballs and fry them about
         10 minutes, turning them until all sides
         are well browned (set aside)
        
STOCK INGREDIENTS:
     2 tbls Millers Chicken Soup Base
     4 beef ribs
     1/2 cup of  virgin olive oil
     2 stalks of celery, cut in 4ths
     1 medium onion, peeled and sliced
     1 tsp black pepper
     2 qts of water
     1 cup of heavy cream to make the
     gravy
     1/2 cup virgin olive oil to make the gravy
     1/2 stick butter for a roux for gravy
     3 tbs of flour
     1 lb of  wide egg noodles or 4 to 5
     white potatoes
DIRECTIONS:
     1. pour a half cup of virgin oil into a lg fry pan
     2. add the beef rib bones and fry
         until well browned
     3. add the chicken base, celery, carrots, and onions
         with the bones and saute them about ten minutes
     4. add the water and stir in with the bones and
         vegtables
     5. simmer about 1 1/2 hrs until  incorporated
     6. now add the meatballs into the stock and
         continue cooking about a good half hour then
         remove the meatballs and set aside
     7. take half the stock and put it in a large bowl
         for the gravy
GRAVY
     1.  pour a half cup virgin olive oil into a large fry
          pan
    2. add the flour to the oil and stir well into a roux
        then add the stock and stir well
   3. add the heavy cream and stir in until the gravy
      is thick and creamy.
   4. make the pound of noodles or mashed  potatoes
       and serve with the meatballs
    

1 comment:

  1. I have to try this...kind of funny that I just found this article while watching the movie you are referring to...I Remember Mama...have had it for years and my brother wore out his copy 3 times and had to keep getting another LOL. I love old movies.
    Thanks for the recipe. ~Tricia

    ReplyDelete