About Me

My photo
FRANK ASHTON CLASSIC ITALIAN AND ADDITIONAL RECIPES: My name is Frank Ashton and I live in the Cleveland Ohio area. I was a high school art teacher for 33 years. I love painting,especially Impressionism; and traveling with my wife; but my other love is for cooking. Over the years I have probably cooked for some 20,000 people. This includes cooking free for many groups to raise funds for worthy causes. Most of my recipes are original from me and some from my mother or my wife Dottie. This has led me to decide to share my original recipes with others. This site has 110 recipes to date! My goal is to be able to give real recipes that really are excellent. One should not expect anything exotic; but I will guarantee they will impress anyone who loves to eat. FIRST GO TO GOOGLE AND PRINT IN THE WHITE BOX FRANK ASHTON ORIGINAL RECIPES AND CLICK ON THAT. Frank Ashton Original Recipes should come up. To print a recipe save it to favorites and then click on the recipe on favorites and you will then be able to print it. THERE ARE OVER 50 VEGETARIAN (MEAT FREE) RECIPES LOOK FOR THE ASTERISK * IN FRONT OF EACH RECIPE OR WORDS VEGETARIAN STYLE

Monday, July 22, 2013

SCALLOPS WITH CHEESE SAUCE, ASHTON STYLE # 182


         Scallops come in two sizes; large sea scallops and small bay scallops.  I prefer
the sea scallops as I believe they have more flavor then the small bay scallops. I would also recomend using the large shells for presentation if you can find them.  These shells look like they just came off the shell gas station sign.   Scallops can also be made many different ways including breading them and then frying them which are delicious.  You can also fry them in butter without breading, or saute them in various sauces or with vegtables such as zuccini, brocoli and many others.  The following recipe that I am giving you is one with cheese sauce and I would recomend trying it.
INGREDIENTS:
     1 lb to 1 1/2 lbs of sea scallops
     1/2 cup of olive oil
     2 tbls of Millers or equiv chicken
     base
     4 carrots, peeled and juliened
     4 green onions chopped
     1 cup of dry white wine
     2 tbls of flour and 1/2 stick of
     butter made into a roux
     1 tbs dried or fresh basil
     1 tbls parsley
     1/2 cup parmesean grated
     parmesean cheese
     1/2 cup sherry wine
     1/2 cup of heavy cream
     1 tsp black pepper
     1 cup grated swiss cheese
DIRECTIONS:
     1. pour the olive oil into a large pan over moderately high heat
     2. saute the juliene carrots and green onions for about 4 to 5 minutes
     3. add the Millers Soup Base and white wine and simmer for another
        5 minutes
    4. add the roux and stir it until it thickens
    5. add the basil, parsley, parmesan cheese, sherry, and continue stiring
    6. add the cream and stir it into the sauce
    7. remove the sauce and in the fry pan add 1/3 cup of olive oil over the
        moderate heat and continue to saute and then add the scallops
    8. saute the scallops until slightly brown
    9. if you have 6 scallop shells, place them on a cookie sheet add the
       the scallops evenly
  10. ladle the sauce on the scallops
  11. sprinkle the cheese on top of the scallops
  12. broil under high heat until the cheese begins to brown
  13 serve each of the shells with the scallops and cheese
  14. serve the carrots, green onions with asparagus or zucchini that has been
        julienned on the side of the scallops

    

No comments:

Post a Comment