About Me

My photo
FRANK ASHTON CLASSIC ITALIAN AND ADDITIONAL RECIPES: My name is Frank Ashton and I live in the Cleveland Ohio area. I was a high school art teacher for 33 years. I love painting,especially Impressionism; and traveling with my wife; but my other love is for cooking. Over the years I have probably cooked for some 20,000 people. This includes cooking free for many groups to raise funds for worthy causes. Most of my recipes are original from me and some from my mother or my wife Dottie. This has led me to decide to share my original recipes with others. This site has 110 recipes to date! My goal is to be able to give real recipes that really are excellent. One should not expect anything exotic; but I will guarantee they will impress anyone who loves to eat. FIRST GO TO GOOGLE AND PRINT IN THE WHITE BOX FRANK ASHTON ORIGINAL RECIPES AND CLICK ON THAT. Frank Ashton Original Recipes should come up. To print a recipe save it to favorites and then click on the recipe on favorites and you will then be able to print it. THERE ARE OVER 50 VEGETARIAN (MEAT FREE) RECIPES LOOK FOR THE ASTERISK * IN FRONT OF EACH RECIPE OR WORDS VEGETARIAN STYLE

Tuesday, July 30, 2013

NORWEGIAN CHRISTMAS BREAD (STOLEN, ANOTHER NAME (JULEKAKE) ASHTON STYLE #188


For 2 or 3 loaves of stolen bread
The following bread recipe is more of a sweet type of bread served at Christmas rather than an actual regular bread. The Norwegians call it by two names: My wife Dottie calls it stolen but in another recipe it is called Julekake. The recipe is rather unique in that it has raisins and candied fruit such as organges, pineapple, cherries both red and green, and even lemon. I believe it is worth trying as I believe you will like it. Family traditions are a very important aspect of family lives. Italians serve various fish dinners on Christmas eve as do other ethnic groups. On Christmas morining the Norwegians serve a bread which is made from a sweet dough with the addition of raisins and candied fruit. They then drizel white frosting on the top and serve it before opening Christmas presents. This recipe is one my wife Dottie uses for her Norwegian bread she refers to as stolen.
INGREDIENTS:
1 cup of scalded milk
41/2 to 5 cups of flour
1/2 cup of butter
2 packages of fresh yeast
or 2 pkg of dry yeast
1/2 cup of sugar
1/2 cup of  warm not hot
water
1 1/2 tsp of cardamom
1 cup of raisins,
1/2 cup of candied fruit
including orange peel, pineapple, cherries
and zest of one lemon
1/2 cup of chopped walnuts
DIRECTIONS:
1. put about 1 cup of milk in a small
sauce pan over moderate high heat
until it is almost to the boil
2. put 1/2 cup of butter into the
same pan with a cup of sugar and
stir in well and let cool
3. add the yeast in the sauce
pan amd desolve in the same
sauce pan
4.add the flour slowly until it
makes the dough
5.knead well and then place in
a large greased bowl
6. let stand about 40 minutes to
an hour and punch down
7. now add the raisins, candied
fruit including the pineapple, cherries,
 orange peel and lemon peel, and the
cardamom to the dough and make
sure it is well incorporated
8. now punch the dough again and
separate the dough into 2 0r 3 round
loaves and place them on a cookie
sheet and place a towel, on them
and allow them to rise another 30
minutes and then bake them at 350
degrees an additional 30 minutes
until the tops are nicely brown


No comments:

Post a Comment