About Me

My photo
FRANK ASHTON CLASSIC ITALIAN AND ADDITIONAL RECIPES: My name is Frank Ashton and I live in the Cleveland Ohio area. I was a high school art teacher for 33 years. I love painting,especially Impressionism; and traveling with my wife; but my other love is for cooking. Over the years I have probably cooked for some 20,000 people. This includes cooking free for many groups to raise funds for worthy causes. Most of my recipes are original from me and some from my mother or my wife Dottie. This has led me to decide to share my original recipes with others. This site has 110 recipes to date! My goal is to be able to give real recipes that really are excellent. One should not expect anything exotic; but I will guarantee they will impress anyone who loves to eat. FIRST GO TO GOOGLE AND PRINT IN THE WHITE BOX FRANK ASHTON ORIGINAL RECIPES AND CLICK ON THAT. Frank Ashton Original Recipes should come up. To print a recipe save it to favorites and then click on the recipe on favorites and you will then be able to print it. THERE ARE OVER 50 VEGETARIAN (MEAT FREE) RECIPES LOOK FOR THE ASTERISK * IN FRONT OF EACH RECIPE OR WORDS VEGETARIAN STYLE

Monday, July 22, 2013

NORWEGIAN ROMMEGROT PUDDING ASHTON STYLE, #181

When we had taken a trip to Norway we took a train and stopped on a mountain.  There was a train station there that served food including a traditional Norwegian recipe called Rommegrot which was a cream and flour pudding dessert. This was the same type of recipe that Dottie's family had at home.  Dottie's brother Terry and our son Mike would make a variation of what we had there.  It did seem that whenever one of them made it, the process seemed to take a few hours but seemed to take a couple of days.  The result of all the work that went into making this dessert really was worth it as everyone enjoyed it.  Understand it is one of those desserts that stayed in ones stomach for some time!
INGREDIENTS:
      1 qt of half and half
      1/2 qt of whole milk
      1 stick of melted butter
      1 1/2 cups of flour
      pinch of salt
      a cup of brown sugar
      1 tbls of cinnamon
DIRECTIONS:
     1. p
repare "the seed" by mixing a 1/2 cup of cream and add  small amounts of
         flour, stiring constantly until the mixture is smooth and thick in the cup. set
         aside
    2. in a large sauce pan pour 3/4 of half and half and start heating at low flame and
       start adding small amounts of sifted flour (about a 1/2 cup)  wisking steadily to
       incorporate into cream slow without boiling
   3. at this point you may want to add half the milk to insure its not too thick       
   4. now you may wish to add some more of the seed and continue to wisk
       a little at a time as you until the pudding is thick and smooth
  5. now you can pour the pudding into small ramikins or pudding cups about
      3/4 full
 6.  you can now pour enough butter to just cover the top of the pudding
 7. now sprinkle the brown sugar/cinnamon mixture on top of the butter
    and serve immediately
8. this recipe will serve 6 to 8 people generously
 
     
     
    

No comments:

Post a Comment