About Me

My photo
FRANK ASHTON CLASSIC ITALIAN AND ADDITIONAL RECIPES: My name is Frank Ashton and I live in the Cleveland Ohio area. I was a high school art teacher for 33 years. I love painting,especially Impressionism; and traveling with my wife; but my other love is for cooking. Over the years I have probably cooked for some 20,000 people. This includes cooking free for many groups to raise funds for worthy causes. Most of my recipes are original from me and some from my mother or my wife Dottie. This has led me to decide to share my original recipes with others. This site has 110 recipes to date! My goal is to be able to give real recipes that really are excellent. One should not expect anything exotic; but I will guarantee they will impress anyone who loves to eat. FIRST GO TO GOOGLE AND PRINT IN THE WHITE BOX FRANK ASHTON ORIGINAL RECIPES AND CLICK ON THAT. Frank Ashton Original Recipes should come up. To print a recipe save it to favorites and then click on the recipe on favorites and you will then be able to print it. THERE ARE OVER 50 VEGETARIAN (MEAT FREE) RECIPES LOOK FOR THE ASTERISK * IN FRONT OF EACH RECIPE OR WORDS VEGETARIAN STYLE

Wednesday, August 3, 2011

STEAK AND KIDNEY PIE,( MY FAVORITE AND ALSO SHERLOCK HOLMES) ASHTON STYLE #(71)

      I know that the reason I enjoy kidneys is that my father loved kidneys usually with tomato sauce and onions. I tried them and found I enjoyed eating them.  Understand I also like chicken gizzards, beef heart, and chicken liver. As I grew up I decided to try steak and kidney pie and found that I really loved it. Unfortunately I am the only one in my family who does.  When my wife Dottie and I visited London we had lunch at Mrs. Hudson's Restaurant which was at the time next to Sherlock Holmes Museum on Baker Street. Sherlock Holmes is one of my favorite historical figures and eating this pie is a great treat for me as it reminds me of him. The pie I had there was made with venison, beef, and pheasant along with beef kidneys. Unfortunately the restaurant is no longer there.  But alas, when we visited London and stopped at Sherlock Holmes former residence, a man told us that there is another restaurant in London called Sherlock Holmes near Leicester Square in the West End theater district of London. Their menu had a good version on it for my pie so I was able to not miss out.
         Another restaurant I would go to almost every year was called "The Buttery" in Niagra On The Lake near Niagra Falls.  They had a great steak and kidney pie which I thouroghly enjoyed.  A couple of years ago it was sold and the new owners doesnt serve my pie.  However I still am able to make it at home.  I used to use beef kidneys but now have found that veal kidneys are milder and better.  I also make this English delight with rib steak which is tenderer and has a great flavor. I hope you will try this recipe and et me know how you like it. ENJOY

INGREDIENTS: (pre heat oven to 400 degrees)
     a 16 oz rib steak without the bone and
    the steak cut into 1 inch square pieces
    16 oz or so, of veal kidneys about 2 kidneys; cut
    the kidneys off of the whole kidney into individual
    kidney pieces (beef kidneys will work if you can't get
    veal kidneys) cut them in half
    16oz of small bella or white button mushrooms cut
    in half
    1/3 cup of virgin olive oil
    2  large onion, peeled and cut in half and sliced
    2 tabls of Millers, or equivilent, Chicken Soup Base
    (because this soup base has a lot of salt you can
    leave out any additional salt)
    1 tsp of coarse ground pepper
    3 tab of flour
   
    1 pie crust top and bottom (see the recipe below)

DIRECTIONS:
    1. pour the virgin olive oil in a lg fry pan over moderate heat
    2. when oil is hot add the onions and fry until brown (set aside)
    3. add the pepper and stir until incorporated
    4.add the steak and fry until well brown (set aside)
    5. add the veal kidneys and fry until brown (set aside)
    6. add the mushrooms and fry until tender and brown (set aside)
    7. add 1/2 stick of butter into fry pan and melt
    8. add the flour into the fry pan and make a roux
    9. add the Millers or equiv. Soup Base and stir in until
       incorporated (might add a little water first then the soup
       base)
    8. pour all the ingredients into the fry pan and stir well until
       all is incorporated 
   9. pour into the pie shell and put the top crust on pie
 10. mix the egg well and brush on the top of the pie
 11. bake for 35 minutes or so and the top is slightly brown
 12. cut into slices and serve

PIE CRUST RECIPE:
    1.  in a lg bowl pour 2 cups of flour
    2. add 1 1/2 tsp salt
    2/3 cup crisco
    1/4 cup ice cold water (add a little at
    a time using a fork  to get to a soft but
    not sticky consistency
    divide into 2 balls and roll out on a
    floured wood cutting board
   
   

   

No comments:

Post a Comment