About Me

My photo
FRANK ASHTON CLASSIC ITALIAN AND ADDITIONAL RECIPES: My name is Frank Ashton and I live in the Cleveland Ohio area. I was a high school art teacher for 33 years. I love painting,especially Impressionism; and traveling with my wife; but my other love is for cooking. Over the years I have probably cooked for some 20,000 people. This includes cooking free for many groups to raise funds for worthy causes. Most of my recipes are original from me and some from my mother or my wife Dottie. This has led me to decide to share my original recipes with others. This site has 110 recipes to date! My goal is to be able to give real recipes that really are excellent. One should not expect anything exotic; but I will guarantee they will impress anyone who loves to eat. FIRST GO TO GOOGLE AND PRINT IN THE WHITE BOX FRANK ASHTON ORIGINAL RECIPES AND CLICK ON THAT. Frank Ashton Original Recipes should come up. To print a recipe save it to favorites and then click on the recipe on favorites and you will then be able to print it. THERE ARE OVER 50 VEGETARIAN (MEAT FREE) RECIPES LOOK FOR THE ASTERISK * IN FRONT OF EACH RECIPE OR WORDS VEGETARIAN STYLE

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

*ENGLISH TRIFLE " ITALIAN" ASHTON STYLE #(84)

       My wife Dottie have been making English Trifle for almost 40 years.  Even though we call it English Trifle it is actually an Italian dish that the English adapted because they loved it as much as the Italians do.
The recipe that follows uses only cooked fillings and homemade sponge cake.  Instant is a word that I would be loath to use.  The parts that are in this recipe are labor intensive but the end result is delicious.  Let me know how you like it ENJOY

INGREDIENTS:

SPONGE CAKE
pre heat oven 325 degrees
1 1/4 cups cake flour
1 1/4 cups sugar
6 eggs separated
1/3 cup of canola oil
1/2 cup cold water
1/2 tsp cream of tarter
1 tsp pure almond extract
1/2 tsp salt
DIRECTIONS:
     1. separate the eggs
     2. beat the egg yolks in a a Kitchen Aide
         mixer until lemon color and then slowly
        add the sugar
    3. add the vanila extract, water  and
        continue beating until incorporated
    4. slowly add the flour and continue 
        beating until incorporated
    5. in a separate bowl, using a whisk
        beat the egg whites until stiff and
        then add the cream of tarter and
        keep beating until egg whites are 
        stiff
    6. add the egg yolk mixture into the
        egg whites and using a rubber 
        spatula, fold into the egg whites
        until blended
    7. pour the mix into an ungreased 
        tube cake pan
    8. bake in 325 degree oven for 
        about 1 1/4 hr; check doneness
        by tapping the top of the cake 
        and it should it springs back 
INGREDIENTS FOR MAKING 
TRIFLE
    chocolate mouse (I use Julia Childs recipe)
    1 jar of raspberry preserves
    1/2 cup of brandy, sherry, rum, or orange liquor
    vanila pudding (cooked kind)
    whipped cream or creme fraiche (see recipe #93) or 3 cups; 8 oz of
    heavy cream and 3 oz of either sour cream or buttermilk;
    let stand on counter until it gets thick)
   1 box of  blueberries
   1 box of strawberries cut in half
   1 box of raspberries 
DIRECTIONS:
   1. cut cake into 1/2 inch thick by 2 inch long
   2. spread raspberry preserves on one side and
       line a large clear glass bowl or an actual trifle bowl
       on bottom and up the sides
   3. sprinkle a little liquor on the cake 
   4. layer strawberries,  blueberries, raspberries, 
       alternating with mouse, vanila pudding, cream,
       and then another layer of cake that you cover
      the one side with raspberry preserves and which
      you sprinkle liquor on
  5. the top should be 1/2 inch of cream and that you
      then decorate with strawberries, raspberries, blue
      blueberries, and almond slices
  6. put in refrigerator until ready to serve      
    

No comments:

Post a Comment