About Me

My photo
FRANK ASHTON CLASSIC ITALIAN AND ADDITIONAL RECIPES: My name is Frank Ashton and I live in the Cleveland Ohio area. I was a high school art teacher for 33 years. I love painting,especially Impressionism; and traveling with my wife; but my other love is for cooking. Over the years I have probably cooked for some 20,000 people. This includes cooking free for many groups to raise funds for worthy causes. Most of my recipes are original from me and some from my mother or my wife Dottie. This has led me to decide to share my original recipes with others. This site has 110 recipes to date! My goal is to be able to give real recipes that really are excellent. One should not expect anything exotic; but I will guarantee they will impress anyone who loves to eat. FIRST GO TO GOOGLE AND PRINT IN THE WHITE BOX FRANK ASHTON ORIGINAL RECIPES AND CLICK ON THAT. Frank Ashton Original Recipes should come up. To print a recipe save it to favorites and then click on the recipe on favorites and you will then be able to print it. THERE ARE OVER 50 VEGETARIAN (MEAT FREE) RECIPES LOOK FOR THE ASTERISK * IN FRONT OF EACH RECIPE OR WORDS VEGETARIAN STYLE

Monday, August 8, 2011

*DOROTHY ASHTON'S FAMOUS APPLE PIE (I AM WILLING TO BET) ASHTON STYLE #(75)

         My wife Dottie has made apple pie for many many years.  Every time its great, not just good but great.  I hear so many people I know who say they can't make a good pie. I believe the reason is that they don't follow the recipe or try to make shortcuts. Both will destroy the pie. I play a part in that she is not crazy about having to cut the apples so this important part has become my job.  Another important part is picking the right apples to use for the pie.  In the beginning of her apple pie experience she used MadIntosh but now Dottie prefers 2 lbs of Gala and 2 lbs of Granny Smith. MacIntosh is still a great apple to use and all Gala is also great to use. For me all Granny Smith is usually too crunchy. Delicious apples are good for apple sauce but are too soft for apple pie (though mixing a few in with the others will make the pie a little softer to the taste). ENJOY

INDGREDIENTS:
     4lbs of apples, again Dottie uses
     Gala and Granny Smith most of the time
     the apples are peeled, cut in half and then
    cut into wedges ( I always leave a couple of
    seeds and a little peel to make sure everyone
    truly knows its homemade
    2 cups of all purpose flour, never self rising
    1 1/2 tsp salt
    2/3 cup of crisco
    1 egg for a wash
    1/4 cup ice cold water ( add a little water at
    a time to get a soft but not sticky dough)
    use a 9 inch pie dish and a good rolling pin

APPLE PREPARATION TO GO INTO PIE
     INGREDIENTS;
         4 lbs  of  apple wedges
         1/4 cup of flour
         1 cup of sugar
         1 tsp of ground cinnamon
         1/2 tsp salt
         4 tab of butter

DIRECTIONS FOR APPLES TO GO INTO PIE
      1. mix all the dry ingredients with the apple wedges
      2. when pie crust is made, pour all the apples into the
          pie crust and put the butter in small amounts around
          the top of the apples and then put the top crust on and
          flute the edges.
      3. mix the egg with 1 tab of water and brush the top
          completely or instead of an egg wash you could
          sprinkle sugar on top (your choice)
         
      3. bake in a preheated 425 degree oven with a piece of
          aluminum foil around the edges;  bake for 45 minutes
          and uncover for 15 additional minutes to brown the
          top
        
   
DIRECTIONS FOR PIE CRUST DOUGH:
   1.  mix the flour and salt together in a lg bowl
   2. mix in the Crisco a little at a time with a fork
      (never a spoon)  until the dough is crumbly
   3. add the ice cold water a little at a time
       but don't daudle (the less you work the dough
       the flakier the crust will be
  4. using a floured rolling pin, roll on a large floured cutting
      board (if you don't have one buy one-great cooks
     use the old fashion one without handles)
 5. roll the dough thin but try not to tear it; when it is
    thin enough carefully lift about half over the rolling pin
 6 the rolling pin to help you put it on the 9 inch pie plate
 7. carefully push down the dough to fit the pie plate
     (if you tear the dough, repair it)
 8. mix the apples as shown below and put into the
      bottom crust then add three dollops of  butter on
      three areas of the apples
 9. roll out the top crust, lift on to the rolling pin and then put
    on to the top of the pie and remove extra dough and then
    flute the edges and either wash the top with an egg wash
    which I prefer or sprinkle sugar on top which Dottie prefers
10 bake in a pre heated 425 degree oven for 45 minutes with
    aluminum foil around the edges and bake an additional 15
    minutes to brown the top 
   

No comments:

Post a Comment