About Me

My photo
FRANK ASHTON CLASSIC ITALIAN AND ADDITIONAL RECIPES: My name is Frank Ashton and I live in the Cleveland Ohio area. I was a high school art teacher for 33 years. I love painting,especially Impressionism; and traveling with my wife; but my other love is for cooking. Over the years I have probably cooked for some 20,000 people. This includes cooking free for many groups to raise funds for worthy causes. Most of my recipes are original from me and some from my mother or my wife Dottie. This has led me to decide to share my original recipes with others. This site has 110 recipes to date! My goal is to be able to give real recipes that really are excellent. One should not expect anything exotic; but I will guarantee they will impress anyone who loves to eat. FIRST GO TO GOOGLE AND PRINT IN THE WHITE BOX FRANK ASHTON ORIGINAL RECIPES AND CLICK ON THAT. Frank Ashton Original Recipes should come up. To print a recipe save it to favorites and then click on the recipe on favorites and you will then be able to print it. THERE ARE OVER 50 VEGETARIAN (MEAT FREE) RECIPES LOOK FOR THE ASTERISK * IN FRONT OF EACH RECIPE OR WORDS VEGETARIAN STYLE

Thursday, August 4, 2011

CHICKEN ITALIAN EN CROUTE ASHTON STYLE (ITALIAN POT PIE) #(72)

     I have learned to love pot pies and in the process of making a recipe for this blog. This caused me to start thinking about what I would want in such a recipe. I then started to think about what one would put into an Italian version of such a recipe.  The following is the recipe that I thought such a pie would be like using some Italian ingredients.  When I made it I was surprised how good it was.  I suggest you try it and let me know what you think! ENJOY

INGREDIENTS:
      1/2 of a chicken fryer about 2lbs
      1/2 cup of virgin olive oil
      2 small zucchini cut into 1 inch pieces with
      the skin on
      1 yellow summer squash cut into 1 inch pieces
      3 large carrots cut in half and then cut into 1/2
      inch pieces
      2 medium onions, peeled, cut in half and cut into
      1/2 inch slices
      2 stalks of celery, cut down tthe center and cut into 1/2 inch
      slices
      1/2 can of Contadina tomato paste
      16 oz of homemade tomato sauce or 16 oz of Contadina
      diced tomatos
      2 tsp of dried basil
      1 handful of fresh basil rough cut
      1 tsp of oregno
      1 tsp of coarse pepper
      2 tab of sugar
      1 tab of flour
      2 tab of Millers or equiv chicken base
      2/3 cup of heavy cream
      1 egg

DIRECTIONS:
     1. boil the 1/2 of a fryer chicken in 3 qts of water
         for about 1 hr set aside and let cool; then cut
         the chicken into 1 inch pieces (both light and dark meat)
     2. pour the olive oil into a lg fry pan over moderate heat
     3. when the oil is hot add the zucchini and summer squash and
         fry until slightly brown (don't overcook) set aside
     4. add the carrots and fry until slightly brown
         set aside
     5. add more olive oil if neccesary and then add the onions
         and celery and fry until slightly brown then add the dried
         basil, oregano, coarse pepper, sugar,  and 1/2 can of 
        Contadina tomato paste and stir until all is incorporated
    6. add the homemade tomato sauce or diced tomatos and 
        stir until incorporated  (simmer about 10 minutes) 
.  7.  add the heavy cream and make a paste with a little water
        and flour, then a little more water and add to the pan   
.  8. add the 2 tab of Millers or equiv Chicken base and stir in
        until it is incorporated
   8.. return all the vegtables to the pan and  stir until incorporated
   9. make the pie dough for a 9 inch pie(use the recipe for apple
       pie dough #(75)
 10. pour all the ingredients into the bottom of the 9 inch pie
       shell and then put the top on and flute the edges
 11. make a light wash of an egg and water and brush the top
       of the pie and bake at 400 degrees for
   

No comments:

Post a Comment