About Me

My photo
FRANK ASHTON CLASSIC ITALIAN AND ADDITIONAL RECIPES: My name is Frank Ashton and I live in the Cleveland Ohio area. I was a high school art teacher for 33 years. I love painting,especially Impressionism; and traveling with my wife; but my other love is for cooking. Over the years I have probably cooked for some 20,000 people. This includes cooking free for many groups to raise funds for worthy causes. Most of my recipes are original from me and some from my mother or my wife Dottie. This has led me to decide to share my original recipes with others. This site has 110 recipes to date! My goal is to be able to give real recipes that really are excellent. One should not expect anything exotic; but I will guarantee they will impress anyone who loves to eat. FIRST GO TO GOOGLE AND PRINT IN THE WHITE BOX FRANK ASHTON ORIGINAL RECIPES AND CLICK ON THAT. Frank Ashton Original Recipes should come up. To print a recipe save it to favorites and then click on the recipe on favorites and you will then be able to print it. THERE ARE OVER 50 VEGETARIAN (MEAT FREE) RECIPES LOOK FOR THE ASTERISK * IN FRONT OF EACH RECIPE OR WORDS VEGETARIAN STYLE

Friday, August 26, 2011

ARTICHOCKES WITH MEAT STUFFING ASHTON STYLE #(86)

     When I was young some 60 years ago my mother made aritchokes two ways; one with breadcrumbs (recipe #(3)and one with ground meat which was actually the same reicipe as the one for Italian meatballs.  They were both excellent dishes and we loved them both.  The following recipe is the one with ground meat and well worth trying.  Let me know what you think of it ENJOY

INGREDIENTS:
     3 to 4 ripe artichokes; but not with black edged leaves and
     certainly not one that is dry looking or not ripe enough
     so that it is not ready to eat. cut about a half an inch off the bottom
    (cut the stem off and sav it as it is close to tasting like
    the heart of the artichoke when you cook it in water)
 MEAT STUFFING RECIPE
      INGREDIENTS:
           3 to 4 ripe artichokes (dark green,
           not black on the leaves; not dry looking,
           not light green or not ripe)
RECIPE FOR MEAT STUFFING
          1 lb of ground chuck or equiv
          1 cup of  Italian bread crumbs mixed with
          2 tab of  Italian seasoning herbs
          1/2 cup of parmesan cheese
          1 large egg
          5 cloves of garlic, peeled and minced
          1/2 tsp salt
          1/2 tsp pepper
DIRECTIONS
     1. put the ground chuck into a fairly large
         bowl
     2. add the bread crumbs, garlic, salt and pepper
         and the one egg 
     3. mix until all the ingredients are incorporated
     4. open the leaves on the artichokes to accomodate
         the meat.
     5. stuff the meat inbetween the leaves
         but leave a 1/4 inch on top
     6. put the artichokes in a roasting pan
         that has 2 inches of water in the bottom
         and bake in a 350 degree oven for about
         45 minutes
     7. now mix 1 cup of bread crumbs with 1/2 cup
        of parmesean cheese, 3 tab of virgin olive 
        oil, 1/4 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper and mix
        it well and put it on top and with one egg
       mixed in a cup for an egg wash which you spoon
       over the bread crumb topping  and put the
      artichokes back in the oven under the broiler
      for about 10 minutes or until the top browns
   8. make 3/4 pound of thick spaghetti according
      to the box and after you remove the artichokes
      from the roasting pan add

      
    

No comments:

Post a Comment