About Me

My photo
FRANK ASHTON CLASSIC ITALIAN AND ADDITIONAL RECIPES: My name is Frank Ashton and I live in the Cleveland Ohio area. I was a high school art teacher for 33 years. I love painting,especially Impressionism; and traveling with my wife; but my other love is for cooking. Over the years I have probably cooked for some 20,000 people. This includes cooking free for many groups to raise funds for worthy causes. Most of my recipes are original from me and some from my mother or my wife Dottie. This has led me to decide to share my original recipes with others. This site has 110 recipes to date! My goal is to be able to give real recipes that really are excellent. One should not expect anything exotic; but I will guarantee they will impress anyone who loves to eat. FIRST GO TO GOOGLE AND PRINT IN THE WHITE BOX FRANK ASHTON ORIGINAL RECIPES AND CLICK ON THAT. Frank Ashton Original Recipes should come up. To print a recipe save it to favorites and then click on the recipe on favorites and you will then be able to print it. THERE ARE OVER 50 VEGETARIAN (MEAT FREE) RECIPES LOOK FOR THE ASTERISK * IN FRONT OF EACH RECIPE OR WORDS VEGETARIAN STYLE

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

FRENCH CASOULETT ASHTON STYLE (#41)

     The first time I heard of the French dish "casoulet" was from the movie GIGI staring leslie Caron and Louis Jourdan.
In the scene where Gaston comes to visit Gigi and her grandmother, he, who is so rich and could buy any dish he would want, smells the casoulet that Gigis Grand Ma Ma (Hermioni Gingold) is cooking and stays for dinner.  She tells him it is only a "poor casoulet".  It sounded so good that I was able to have it at a French restaurant and really enjoyed it.  I have looked at various reicpes and was not satisfied with any of them and decided to try my own variation.  The recipe can contain various meats with beans and vegtables and is another one of the reicipes that was "a poor mans dinner" using leftovers. This traditional dish would now be an expensive dish in a good French Restaurant today.  My version below would probably not be considered traditional nor a modern variation but I hope you will enjoy it!

INGREDIENTS:

     1/2 cup olive oil
     2 qts chicken broth (mix 3 tab of Millers or equivilent
        chicken base with 2 qts of boiling water
     6 oz of salt pork sliced
     5 links of Italian mild sausage (I make my own using
     the recipe from my original recipe blog
     1/2 duck or if not available, one cornish hen cut into
     4 pieces
     2 cans of  great northern beans with liquid
     5 carrots, peeled and cut in half
     (optional, 3 tbls capers)
     1 lg onion or 2 medium onions, peeled and slice thin
     5 cloves of garlic, peeled and smashed
     1 can of contadina or equivilent diced tomatoes
     8 oz of  good red wine
     8 oz of  Italian style bread crumbs
     1 bunch  bouquet garni  (fresh thyme, 2 bay leaves,
     and a small bunch of fresh parsley

DIRECTIONS:
     1. preheat oven to 325 degrees
     2. put 6 oz of sliced salt pork in 2 qts boiling water for about
         ten minutes, remove and cut into small pieces
     3. pour a 1/2 cup of virgin olive oil in a large fry pan
         over moderate heat.
     4. dry the salt pork and fry in the fry pan until the
         pieces are slightly browned (set aside)
     5. put the sliced onions in the same pan and fry until
         the onions are slightly browned then add the smashed
         garlic and cook an additonal 10 miunites constantly
         stiring so as not to burn the garlic (set aside)
     6. fry the sausage in the same pan until browned on
         all sides (set aside0
     7. brown the cornish hen pieces until browned on all
         sides (set aside)
     8. return the onions and garlic into the fry pan (optional add 3 tbls capers)
     9.  add the can of tomatoes and stir with onions/garlic
          about ten minutes
   10. add the mixed chicken stock and stir into tomatoes
         and onion/garlic
   11. add the carrots and beans into the vegtables and 2 qts water
         stock and and cook them on high heat until they are almost
        done and liquid is reduced about a third
   12. put all meat and vegtables into a ceramic casserole
         pot along with the bouquet garni
   13. sprinkle the bread crumbs on top of the dish
         and cook for about 2 hrs covered with foil
   14. remove the foil and broil until the bread crumbs are
         browned, taste for doneness and  flavor, and you are
         ready to serve
   15. will serve 6 to 8 generously (ENJOY)
  


    

No comments:

Post a Comment