About Me

My photo
FRANK ASHTON CLASSIC ITALIAN AND ADDITIONAL RECIPES: My name is Frank Ashton and I live in the Cleveland Ohio area. I was a high school art teacher for 33 years. I love painting,especially Impressionism; and traveling with my wife; but my other love is for cooking. Over the years I have probably cooked for some 20,000 people. This includes cooking free for many groups to raise funds for worthy causes. Most of my recipes are original from me and some from my mother or my wife Dottie. This has led me to decide to share my original recipes with others. This site has 110 recipes to date! My goal is to be able to give real recipes that really are excellent. One should not expect anything exotic; but I will guarantee they will impress anyone who loves to eat. FIRST GO TO GOOGLE AND PRINT IN THE WHITE BOX FRANK ASHTON ORIGINAL RECIPES AND CLICK ON THAT. Frank Ashton Original Recipes should come up. To print a recipe save it to favorites and then click on the recipe on favorites and you will then be able to print it. THERE ARE OVER 50 VEGETARIAN (MEAT FREE) RECIPES LOOK FOR THE ASTERISK * IN FRONT OF EACH RECIPE OR WORDS VEGETARIAN STYLE

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

* MUSSELS, ITALIAN ( ASHTON STYLE) (43)

INGREDIENTS:
     2 lbs of mussels
     2 medium onions peeled and sliced
     1/2 cup virgin olive oil
     1/2 can tomato paste (contadina or equivelent)
     3/4 can, 28 oz, contadina crushed tomatoes
     1 cup sparkling red wine (Ruinite Red is good
     for this recipe as it is a sweet sparkling wine)
     4 cloves garlic peeled, smashed and minced
     3 tab dried basil
     1/2 tsp salt
     1/2 tsp pepper
     1 tab of sugar (especially if you don't use a sweet wine
     1 lb pasta of your choice (such as thick spaghetti,
     penne pasta, lg shells, or linguini)

DIRECTIONS:
     1. wash mussels and debeard if necessary; put them
         into a pot with the wine and cook until they are open;
         disgard any that don't open, (set aside)
     2. put the olive oil in a lg fry pan and fry onions on
         moderate heat until they are lightly browned about
        8 minutes; then add the minced garlic and stir in and
        cook an additional 5 minutes (keep the olive oil in the
        pan and continue as follows:
     3. add 3 tab dried basil, salt, pepper, and sugar, stir in
     4. add tomatoe paste and stir in
     5. add 3/4 can 28oz crushed tomatoes and stir in
     6. add the mussels and wine, continue stiring  and cook for
         about 15 minutes on moderate heat using a defuser in
         between the pan and the burner (to prevent burning; if
         you don't have a defuser cook on low heat and make
        sure you continue to stir about 15 minutes
     7. mix pasta according to box and stir in the mussels with
        the sauce
     8. will serve 6 generosly
    
    

No comments:

Post a Comment