About Me

My photo
FRANK ASHTON CLASSIC ITALIAN AND ADDITIONAL RECIPES: My name is Frank Ashton and I live in the Cleveland Ohio area. I was a high school art teacher for 33 years. I love painting,especially Impressionism; and traveling with my wife; but my other love is for cooking. Over the years I have probably cooked for some 20,000 people. This includes cooking free for many groups to raise funds for worthy causes. Most of my recipes are original from me and some from my mother or my wife Dottie. This has led me to decide to share my original recipes with others. This site has 110 recipes to date! My goal is to be able to give real recipes that really are excellent. One should not expect anything exotic; but I will guarantee they will impress anyone who loves to eat. FIRST GO TO GOOGLE AND PRINT IN THE WHITE BOX FRANK ASHTON ORIGINAL RECIPES AND CLICK ON THAT. Frank Ashton Original Recipes should come up. To print a recipe save it to favorites and then click on the recipe on favorites and you will then be able to print it. THERE ARE OVER 50 VEGETARIAN (MEAT FREE) RECIPES LOOK FOR THE ASTERISK * IN FRONT OF EACH RECIPE OR WORDS VEGETARIAN STYLE

Sunday, April 17, 2011

BRINED FRESH HAM ROAST ASHTON STYLE (#46)

INGREDIENTS:
6 to 8 lb fresh ham with the bone in
3 qts of water for the brine
4 stalks of celery
5 or 6 baby carrots or 4 regular
carrots peeled and cut in half
5 medium parsnips peeled and cut in half
2 medium onions, peeled and sliced
6 cloves of garlic smashed
1 cup pinot gregio white wine
1 cup white port
1/2 cup of  brown hot sweet mustard
 1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground mustard
1 tsp oregano
1 tab garlic salt
2 tab paprika
1 tsp ground cajun spice (the more the hotter)
1 cup of dark brown sugar

DIRECTIONS: (pre heat oven to 450 degrees)
1. put about 10 cuts around the ham
to insure the brine is able to get
into the interior (somewhat) and put
the ham into a deep pot and fill
with  about 3 qts of water
2 mix the salt and sugar together
  in some water  and then pour into the pot
and stir until incorporated; (let
the brine soak for 2 days)
3. remove ham from the brine, pat dry,
 and make cuts in the fat criscrossed
and first rub the mustard on the ham
then using your hand rub the spices
on the ham (check the spices I suggest in
the ingredients above)
4. place the ham into a roasting pan
5. mix the Pinot Grigo and white port and
    pour around the ham
6. bake in the oven at 450 degrees  for an hour
   (uncovered) if the liquid is low add more of the
   two wines
7.put the carrots and parsnips in two qts of water
   and cook for about a half an hour and remove and
   set aside
8. reduce heat to 350 degrees and bake an additional
   2 hrs
9. when the roast is about one hour left add the vegtables
    around the roast including the garlic and cook another hour and check
    temperature which should be 165 degrees or so
10. remove the ham and let sit and remove the
   vegtables for serving.
11. slice with an electric knife
12.  this will serve 6 to 10 people generously (ENJOY!)

No comments:

Post a Comment