About Me

My photo
FRANK ASHTON CLASSIC ITALIAN AND ADDITIONAL RECIPES: My name is Frank Ashton and I live in the Cleveland Ohio area. I was a high school art teacher for 33 years. I love painting,especially Impressionism; and traveling with my wife; but my other love is for cooking. Over the years I have probably cooked for some 20,000 people. This includes cooking free for many groups to raise funds for worthy causes. Most of my recipes are original from me and some from my mother or my wife Dottie. This has led me to decide to share my original recipes with others. This site has 110 recipes to date! My goal is to be able to give real recipes that really are excellent. One should not expect anything exotic; but I will guarantee they will impress anyone who loves to eat. FIRST GO TO GOOGLE AND PRINT IN THE WHITE BOX FRANK ASHTON ORIGINAL RECIPES AND CLICK ON THAT. Frank Ashton Original Recipes should come up. To print a recipe save it to favorites and then click on the recipe on favorites and you will then be able to print it. THERE ARE OVER 50 VEGETARIAN (MEAT FREE) RECIPES LOOK FOR THE ASTERISK * IN FRONT OF EACH RECIPE OR WORDS VEGETARIAN STYLE

Sunday, April 17, 2011

* THE BEST MUSTARD POTATO SALAD EVER,FRANK ASHTON STYLE (#47)

     Some years ago  Don Strother, a friend of mine and a German teacher held a 3 day German camp for students to emerse themselves in the German language.  When he lost the person who had been cooking for the camp he asked me if I was willing to take over.  I said yes and for many years I cooked breakfast, lunch and dinner for some 125 students, and an additional 10 or more staff.  I learned how to cook Saurbratten, schnitzel, and other German dishes.  I loved doing it and the kids "thank goodness" loved eating what we served them.  How does one tell if they liked what you cooked? Look in "believe it or not "the garbage can after the meal".  If it was full, they didn't like it!; if it was near empty, they did like it! I loved the fact that it was always near empty! What does this have to do with potato salad which is American as blue berry pie? It was easier to make than German Potato salad and they liked it! The problem I faced is how much potato salad do you make for all those people for lunch.  I asked my mother whose recipe is close to what I made (the reason to say Ashton Style).  I would make 2 batches of  10 pounds each of the potato salad which would give each person about 4 to 6 oz. The 5 lb receipe will serve at least 20 some people at a home meal as a side dish. 

INGREDIENTS:
 5LBS OF POTATO SALAD
(FOR ABOUT 10 TO 20 PEOPLE)                                           

INGREDIENTS:
5lbs of regular white  potatoes
(Idaho baking potatoes are not
quite as good for this recipe but
can still be used)
6 eggs
1 medium or large onion peeled and minced
1 jar,  30 oz Miracle Whip Dressing
( I don't like Mayonaise for this dish
but it may be because I grew up on
Miracle Whip because it was cheaper)
2 tsp salt
2tsp pepper
1/2 red pepper minced
1/2 yellow pepper minced
1/2 green pepper minced
3 tab yellow mustard, check for
color after mixing and you may wish
to add a little more; just remember,
you can't remove any!
                                                                                                                                                                                     1
DIRECTIONS:
1. boil eggs and potatoes together until
   potatoes are cooked through but firm
  (overcooked or even undercooked is
  death to this recipe)
2. peel eggs and potatoes and cut into
    small pieces
3. put the cut potatoes and eggs into a lg
    bowl
4. add the onions, peppers and salt
5. add the Miracle Whip salt and pepper
6. mix well without smashing the potatoes
7. try to make this the day before you intend
    to serve as the flavors will be enhanced
8. this recipe will serve 10 to 20 people depending
    how much you give each person (ENJOY)

GUESS WHAT; FOR 10 LBS OF POTATO SALAD JUST DOUBLE THIS RECIPE!)

No comments:

Post a Comment