About Me

My photo
FRANK ASHTON CLASSIC ITALIAN AND ADDITIONAL RECIPES: My name is Frank Ashton and I live in the Cleveland Ohio area. I was a high school art teacher for 33 years. I love painting,especially Impressionism; and traveling with my wife; but my other love is for cooking. Over the years I have probably cooked for some 20,000 people. This includes cooking free for many groups to raise funds for worthy causes. Most of my recipes are original from me and some from my mother or my wife Dottie. This has led me to decide to share my original recipes with others. This site has 110 recipes to date! My goal is to be able to give real recipes that really are excellent. One should not expect anything exotic; but I will guarantee they will impress anyone who loves to eat. FIRST GO TO GOOGLE AND PRINT IN THE WHITE BOX FRANK ASHTON ORIGINAL RECIPES AND CLICK ON THAT. Frank Ashton Original Recipes should come up. To print a recipe save it to favorites and then click on the recipe on favorites and you will then be able to print it. THERE ARE OVER 50 VEGETARIAN (MEAT FREE) RECIPES LOOK FOR THE ASTERISK * IN FRONT OF EACH RECIPE OR WORDS VEGETARIAN STYLE

Monday, November 28, 2011

ENGLISH PLUM PUDDING, FAMOUS ASHTON STYLE (#100)

     I have indicated before how much I like most anything English from reading  books from writers such as Charles Dickens, including A Christmas Carol to David Copperfield;  most books by A J Cronin; every book by Agatha Christi, Peter Pan and the biography of James Barrie, every story of Sherlock Holmes by Arthur Canon Doyle, all of JK Rowlings books of  Harry Potter, and besides having read all the books by Alf Wight (James Herriot) and even have a signed copy by  James Herriot "The Lord God Made Them All"; and many other English writers.   I also like at least some of their food including roast beef, English trifle, and Christmas pudding.  The last dish which the English are famous for (besides tasteless boiled dinners) is also called Plum Pudding. the recipe I am giving you today.  I have tried it several ways but this recipe is one that I am most fond of.  I know there are many ingredients and this over stated fruit cake, may sound complicated.  However, the results are what counts and and I hope you will like it ENJOY

INGREDIENTS: (preheat the oven to 325 degrees)+    

     6 prunes minced
     3 cups black raisins
     1 cup candied fruit
     1 the peel of 1 lemon minced
     3/4 cup of suet minced
     1 cup minced walnuts
     1 cup flour
     3 cups soft breadcrumbs
     2 tsp cinnamon
     1 tsp allspice
     2 cups sugar
     1 tsp baking powder
     1tsp salt
     1/2 cup brandy
     1 cup molasses
     5 eggs
DIRECTIONS: (preheat oven to 325 degrees)
     1. mix all the fruit together including the
         prunes, raisins, minced peeled lemon,
        and candied fruit
    2. now mix the flour, cinnamon, allspice, baking powder,
        and salt together
    3. the ingredients can be now mixed either by hand or by
        an electric mixer such as a Kitchen Aid using the hook
        to mix the ingredients
    4. take 5 eggs and put them into the Kitchen Aid mixer
    5. slowly add the sugar into the eggs and mix until well
        incorporated
    5. now add the flour mixture slowly into the eggs and sugrar
        into the mixer until it is all incorporated
    6. now add the bread crumbs slowly into the mixer
        until it is all incorporated
    7. now add the suet into the mixer and mix until it is all
        incorporated
    7. now mix the molasses and brandy and slowly add into
        the mixer until it is all incorporated
    9. now add the walnuts and fruit pieces into the mixer
        and mix until it is all incorporated
   10. pour the pudding into a steel or glass bowl and
         cover with tin foil and place in the middle of a
         heavy 9 inch by 13 inch steel pan and fill boiling
         water around it about a 1/3rd or a little more and
         bake about 3 or more hrs at 325 degrees
   11. check the middle of the pudding with a knife and
         when the blade comes out clean it is done and
         ready to serve
   12. you may wish to pour about a 1/2 cup of  brandy
         over the top and flame it for presentation

HARD SAUCE TO SERVE WITH THE PUDDING
INGREDIENTS:
1 cup of  soft butter
2 cups of powdered sugar
1 tab of  vanila
3 tab of brandy
DIRECTIONS:
1. put the butter into a large sauce
    pan
2. slowly add the powdered sugar
    until it is incorporated
3. add the vanila and mix until
    it is incorporated
4. add the brandy and stir in
    until it is incorporated and it
    should be ready to pass around
    for those who would like some
    sauce


    
    
    
    

No comments:

Post a Comment