About Me

My photo
FRANK ASHTON CLASSIC ITALIAN AND ADDITIONAL RECIPES: My name is Frank Ashton and I live in the Cleveland Ohio area. I was a high school art teacher for 33 years. I love painting,especially Impressionism; and traveling with my wife; but my other love is for cooking. Over the years I have probably cooked for some 20,000 people. This includes cooking free for many groups to raise funds for worthy causes. Most of my recipes are original from me and some from my mother or my wife Dottie. This has led me to decide to share my original recipes with others. This site has 110 recipes to date! My goal is to be able to give real recipes that really are excellent. One should not expect anything exotic; but I will guarantee they will impress anyone who loves to eat. FIRST GO TO GOOGLE AND PRINT IN THE WHITE BOX FRANK ASHTON ORIGINAL RECIPES AND CLICK ON THAT. Frank Ashton Original Recipes should come up. To print a recipe save it to favorites and then click on the recipe on favorites and you will then be able to print it. THERE ARE OVER 50 VEGETARIAN (MEAT FREE) RECIPES LOOK FOR THE ASTERISK * IN FRONT OF EACH RECIPE OR WORDS VEGETARIAN STYLE

Thursday, December 15, 2011

MUSHROOM VOL AU VENT ASHTON STYLE (#101)

          Some time ago I was reading a James Herriot book "All Things Bright And Beaufiful" which included his visit to another vet that he called Granville Bennett who was discribed as an excellent surgeon as well as someone who loved to eat as well as  becoming James friend.  James Herriott discribes their visit to a meeting of veternarians and his having Mushrooms Vol Au Vent. The recipe I am making is a variation of this French recipe.  One of the ingredients is the use of  puff pastry which I just made for a seafood dish called Fruits De Mer.  I believe it is worth trying and I encourage you to try it as I know you will love it as a luncheon dish or a side dish for dinner. ENJOY

INGREDIENTS:
     16 oz Pettridgle Farm Brand or equal puff pastry sheets
     1 egg mixed with a little water
     1/2 stick of butter
     1/4 cup of virgin olive oil
     2 tab Millers (or equivilent) Chicken Base
     1 lb of mushrooms, crimini or white button cut
     into quarters
     1 medium onion peeled and sliced
       1 cup heavy cream
     1/2 tsp coarse pepper
     2 cups Creme Fraich (see recipe below)

DIRECTIONS:
   1. unroll the puff pastry, let thaw; and using a
       3 inch diameter round cookie cutter cut out
       15 pieces or so and put them on an ungreased cookie
       sheet. (use a fork and poke the puff pastry several
       times so that it stays even in baking
  2. mix the egg and water and brush on each of the
     puff pastry and bake at 350 degrees until the puff
     pastry has risen and is shiny and light brown
 3. in a large fry pan, melt the butter and add the virgin olive oil
     and put over a moderate heat
 4. peel and slice the onion and fry them in the melted
     butter and oil until the onions are slightly brown
 5  in the same lg fry pan add the the mushrooms and the 2 tab
     of Millers Chicken base stiring until the chicken base
     is incorporated and saute the mushrooms about 8 to 10
     minutes until the they are nice and brown
 6. add the heavy cream and stir in until all is incorporated
 7. remove part of each of top of the round puff pastry and
     spoon in the mushroom mixture until each is filled
 8  (Optional) add a dollop of the Creme Fraich and then
     replace the top and serve hot
 9. serves up to 10 or more generously

CREME FRAICHE RECIPE
1.  mix 2 pints of heavy cream and
    1 pint of sour cream (or buttermilk)
2. after the two are thoroughly mixed;
    let stand a couple of hours until it has
    thickened; (you can put it in the refridgerator
    as it will keep at least a week but once it has
    thickened you can put a dollop on each puff
    pastry.
    
    

No comments:

Post a Comment