About Me

My photo
FRANK ASHTON CLASSIC ITALIAN AND ADDITIONAL RECIPES: My name is Frank Ashton and I live in the Cleveland Ohio area. I was a high school art teacher for 33 years. I love painting,especially Impressionism; and traveling with my wife; but my other love is for cooking. Over the years I have probably cooked for some 20,000 people. This includes cooking free for many groups to raise funds for worthy causes. Most of my recipes are original from me and some from my mother or my wife Dottie. This has led me to decide to share my original recipes with others. This site has 110 recipes to date! My goal is to be able to give real recipes that really are excellent. One should not expect anything exotic; but I will guarantee they will impress anyone who loves to eat. FIRST GO TO GOOGLE AND PRINT IN THE WHITE BOX FRANK ASHTON ORIGINAL RECIPES AND CLICK ON THAT. Frank Ashton Original Recipes should come up. To print a recipe save it to favorites and then click on the recipe on favorites and you will then be able to print it. THERE ARE OVER 50 VEGETARIAN (MEAT FREE) RECIPES LOOK FOR THE ASTERISK * IN FRONT OF EACH RECIPE OR WORDS VEGETARIAN STYLE

Sunday, November 27, 2011

MUSSEL SOUP WITH CREME FRAICHE AND WINE ASHTON STYLE (#99)

     When my son Mike was younger he would only eat around the mussels leaving the rest.  I could have told him to either eat the whole mussel or not at all but I didn't.  In the end it payed off as now he eats the whole mussel.  Pehaps if I had threatened him he might never learned to enjoy this sweet seafood crustacean which is still realitively inexpensive and is also a good farm product especially on Prince Edward Island famous for their mussels.  This recipe is an excellent soup that would be a good starter for a fish dinner entre. ENJOY

INGREDIENTS:
; 2 to 3 lbs of  mussels
1/2 of a 3lb chicken boiled
in 2 qts of water for broth
; 1 pint of creme fraiche
;1 cup of pinot grigio white wine
1 cup Marsala wine
1 tab if Millers or eqivilent chicken base
; 5 cloves of garlic smashed and minced
; 4 sprigs of parsley
1 sprig of thyme
1/2 tsp pepper
(optional) a good pinch of saffron
a good pinch of nutmeg
DIRECTIONS:
1. steam  the mussels in 1 pint of
pinot grigio white wine and shell
the mussels and set both the mussels
and liquid aside
2.boil the 1/2 chicken in a soup pot with
2 qts of water in which you have added
1 tab of  Millers Chicken Base or equivilent
for 1 1/2 hrs remove the chicken and save
for another dish and keep the liquid in the
pot
3. add the marsala wine, garlic, parsley, thyme,
nutmeg, pepper, saffron if desired, mussels, 
and the creme fraiche into the soup pot
4. put the soup pot on moderate heat and
simmer for about 15 minutes
5. this recipe will serve 6 to 8 persons generously

No comments:

Post a Comment