About Me

My photo
FRANK ASHTON CLASSIC ITALIAN AND ADDITIONAL RECIPES: My name is Frank Ashton and I live in the Cleveland Ohio area. I was a high school art teacher for 33 years. I love painting,especially Impressionism; and traveling with my wife; but my other love is for cooking. Over the years I have probably cooked for some 20,000 people. This includes cooking free for many groups to raise funds for worthy causes. Most of my recipes are original from me and some from my mother or my wife Dottie. This has led me to decide to share my original recipes with others. This site has 110 recipes to date! My goal is to be able to give real recipes that really are excellent. One should not expect anything exotic; but I will guarantee they will impress anyone who loves to eat. FIRST GO TO GOOGLE AND PRINT IN THE WHITE BOX FRANK ASHTON ORIGINAL RECIPES AND CLICK ON THAT. Frank Ashton Original Recipes should come up. To print a recipe save it to favorites and then click on the recipe on favorites and you will then be able to print it. THERE ARE OVER 50 VEGETARIAN (MEAT FREE) RECIPES LOOK FOR THE ASTERISK * IN FRONT OF EACH RECIPE OR WORDS VEGETARIAN STYLE

Thursday, November 24, 2011

ENGLISH HAM AND EGG PIE ASHTON STYLE (#94)

    My  great great grandfather, a Methodist, came from England in the 1800's which makes me part English on my fathers side of the family.  Truly, I love most everything English and have visited England with my wife some 4 times. Five of my favorite English persons are Sherlock Holmes, Charles Dickens, James Barry who created Peter Pan; A J Cronin who wrote one of my favorite books "The Green Years"'; and James Herriot (Alf wight)- "All Creatures Great And Small";  though, two of these individuals have a Scottish conection as Arthur Canon Doyle wrote about Sherlock Holmes and Alf Wight was born in Scotland! Yet, I consider them all English.a Also, I love English food, one of 3 people that do.  This brings us to one of my favorite English pies "Ham and Egg Pie". I also love Steak and Kidney Pie (recipe # 71 and Chicken Pot Pie (recipe # 70. The following recipe "Ham and Egg Pie"; and is a variation of this famous dish.  Let me know what you think and I hope you like it as much as I do ENJOY

INGREDIENTS:
     1 1/2 lbs of sliced ham (never lunch meat)
     1 lb of peeled and cubed potatos
     4 to 5 eggs slightly beaten
     1 additional egg with a tsp of water for
        the top of the crust egg wash
     1 medium onion peeled and sliced
     1 tab of  Millers or equivilent Chicken base
     1/3 tsp coarse pepper
     1/3 cup of olive oil
     1 pie crust (see recipe # 75)

DIRECTIONS:
    1.  pour the olive oil in a large fry, add the
         Millers chicken base and stir in until totally
         incorporated and add the onions and potatos
        and then add the ham and saute until all are
        slightly brown
    2. make 2 pie crusts for a 9 inch pie plate; one for
        the bottom and one for the top
    3. take the ingredients from the fry pan and put
        half of them into the pie and then  add half the
        egg mixture
    4. add the remaining ingredients and then the
        rest of the egg mixture   
    5. take the egg wash and brush the top of the
        crust
.   6.bake in a 300 degree oven for about an hour
        and the crust is golden brown
    7. this recipe will serve 6 or more generously        

No comments:

Post a Comment