About Me

My photo
FRANK ASHTON CLASSIC ITALIAN AND ADDITIONAL RECIPES: My name is Frank Ashton and I live in the Cleveland Ohio area. I was a high school art teacher for 33 years. I love painting,especially Impressionism; and traveling with my wife; but my other love is for cooking. Over the years I have probably cooked for some 20,000 people. This includes cooking free for many groups to raise funds for worthy causes. Most of my recipes are original from me and some from my mother or my wife Dottie. This has led me to decide to share my original recipes with others. This site has 110 recipes to date! My goal is to be able to give real recipes that really are excellent. One should not expect anything exotic; but I will guarantee they will impress anyone who loves to eat. FIRST GO TO GOOGLE AND PRINT IN THE WHITE BOX FRANK ASHTON ORIGINAL RECIPES AND CLICK ON THAT. Frank Ashton Original Recipes should come up. To print a recipe save it to favorites and then click on the recipe on favorites and you will then be able to print it. THERE ARE OVER 50 VEGETARIAN (MEAT FREE) RECIPES LOOK FOR THE ASTERISK * IN FRONT OF EACH RECIPE OR WORDS VEGETARIAN STYLE

Thursday, January 14, 2010

* TUSCAN BUTTERNUT BISQUE ASHTON STYLE (#5)

ITALIAN ORIGINAL TUSCAN BUTTERNUT BISQUE

For the past few years we have been growing butternut squash. This
is our favorite squash to serve to groups or for just us. With excess
squash available I began to think about what else I could make from this
great vegtable. I began experimenting with Ideas and decided on a soup
to have before a main entree. You will not find a better soup to impress
friends or realitives. Follow the recipe closely though there can be slight
variations:

INGREDIENTS: (VEGETARIAN STYLE ELIMINATE THE CHICKEN AND CHICKEN BASE AND USE VEGTABLE BASE OR A STOCK OF VEGTABLES SIMMERED A GOOD 2 HOURS)
1. one whole frying chicken about 3 pounds in one gal of water (VEG STYLE
    ELIMINATE THE CHICKEN AND CHICKEN BASE AND
    ADD PENZEYS VEG BASE OR EQUIV OR 1 BOX VEG STOCK
2. 3 tablespoons of Miller chicken base or equivilent in jar (SEE VEG STYLE)
3. 1 large butternut squash cut in half length wise
3. 4 fresh red peppers deseeded and sliced in strips
4. 4 small leeks or 2 large leeks cleaned and sliced into rounds
5. 1 large or 2 medium onions peeled cut in half and sliced
6. 6 carrots cleaned and cut into pieces length wise
7. 6 cloves of garlic smashed, peeled and cut in half
8. 2 tbl of dried basil
9. 1 handful of fresh basil if available or another tbl of dried basil
10.5 tbl of olive oil
12.1 tsp of cayenne pepper
13.1 cup (8oz) of Italian tomato sauce-use sauce left over from
homemade spaghetti sauce.

DIRECTIONS:
1. cook whole chicken into a 5.5 qt pot with one gal water to which
you add chicken base and cook covered about 2 hrs. remove
chicken to use another time (makes great chicken salad)
2. cut squash and carrots length wise; deseed squash and
place in shallow pan; bake in 350 degree oven about 1 hour until soft; remove skin of squash and cut into pieces including carrots; add to stock pot;
water from pan can be kept and added to stock pot if needed
to maintain height of water in pot
3. Put olive oil in lg fry pan; add onions, basil, garlic,leeks'
cayanne pepper; stir and cook till all slightly soft; add to
stock pot
4 fry peppers in same oil and till soft; add all to chicken stock
pot including oil
5. add the spaghetti sauce to stock pot
6. cook for about 1 hour using a defuser between the pot and the
    flame
7 use a hand emulsifyer (motor boat-its worth having!) or blender
until totally blended-serve
8. option: you may add 3/4 cup cream at end if you wish
9 can serve 10 to 12 or more individuals or extra can be frozen
for future dinner

No comments:

Post a Comment