About Me

My photo
FRANK ASHTON CLASSIC ITALIAN AND ADDITIONAL RECIPES: My name is Frank Ashton and I live in the Cleveland Ohio area. I was a high school art teacher for 33 years. I love painting,especially Impressionism; and traveling with my wife; but my other love is for cooking. Over the years I have probably cooked for some 20,000 people. This includes cooking free for many groups to raise funds for worthy causes. Most of my recipes are original from me and some from my mother or my wife Dottie. This has led me to decide to share my original recipes with others. This site has 110 recipes to date! My goal is to be able to give real recipes that really are excellent. One should not expect anything exotic; but I will guarantee they will impress anyone who loves to eat. FIRST GO TO GOOGLE AND PRINT IN THE WHITE BOX FRANK ASHTON ORIGINAL RECIPES AND CLICK ON THAT. Frank Ashton Original Recipes should come up. To print a recipe save it to favorites and then click on the recipe on favorites and you will then be able to print it. THERE ARE OVER 50 VEGETARIAN (MEAT FREE) RECIPES LOOK FOR THE ASTERISK * IN FRONT OF EACH RECIPE OR WORDS VEGETARIAN STYLE

Saturday, January 9, 2010

ITALIAN STYLE BONELESS LEG OF LAMB ASHTON STYLE (#4)

ITALIAN STYLE LEG OF LAMB ASHTON

Some people love lamb and some people hate lamb. I have a
cousin who won't touch it and one realitive equates it the with murder
of a cute little lamb. My wife Dottie loves lamb and so do I. A few years
ago I decided that there should be an Italian style lamb rather than
one roasted and topped with mint jelly. The result is what this recipe
is all about. I started with a nine pound leg of lamb that was on sale
for about 4.50 dollars a pound. The first thing I had to do was to
de bone it without cutting it all to pieces. Somehow it worked and I
was able to de bone it and after tying the lamb with butcher string I
had about a six pound boneless lamb for roasting and a lamb bone.
I admit I was not very confident that making it Italian style would succeed but I had an idea as to how I wanted to make it and what ingredients I would use. Follow the recipe and you will be surprized
how delicious the result will be:

INGREDIENTS:
1. one lamb roast eight or nine pounds with bone(6 pound boneless)
2. Remove the bone carefully leaving the roast
boneless and weighing about six pounds. tie
with butcher string and save bone
3. 3 medium onions, peeled, cut in half and sliced
4. 1 small can Italian stewed tomatoes
5. 1 cup dry red wine
6. 10 greek black olives pit them (not kalamata but larger ones)
7. 7 or so cloves of garlic peeled and cut in half
8. slight handful of oregano
9. 2 tab of millers beef base or eqivilent from a jar
10. 1/4 cup sugar
11. 1/2 cup of virgin olive oil

DIRECTIONS:
1. take the 16 pieces of garlic and puncture into roast all around
and take each piece of garlic add parsley with it and push into
hole; repeat this until all the garlic/parsley is used up
2. brown onions in 1/2 cup virgin olive oil and set aside
3. brown roast and bone all in same oil
4. put roast in a heavy roasting pan about 9 X 13 and 2 inches high
5. return onions around roast and browned bone for additional flavor
6. add olives around roast
7. mix wine with beef base and sugar and pour over and around roast
8. add can of italian style stewed tomatos (a must) over and around
roast. check for salt and pepper and add accordingly
9. sprinkle oregano over and around roast
10. after about 30 minutes baste roast(add more wine if necessary
11. bake in 325 degree oven about 1 hour and using meat themometer
check doneness by putting themometer in side to middle of roast
12. continue cooking about 30 minutes until the center of the lamb is pinkish and the temperature should be between 165 to 170 degrees
13. thicken sauce by making in a cup, a paste of flour and
water then add more liquid, stir and heating the pan on top of
stove stir in the thickener until sauce is made but not to thick

14. using an electric knife make slices thin; this should feed 10 to 14
people at 3 slices per person. make small red potatoes or mashed
potatoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment