About Me

My photo
FRANK ASHTON CLASSIC ITALIAN AND ADDITIONAL RECIPES: My name is Frank Ashton and I live in the Cleveland Ohio area. I was a high school art teacher for 33 years. I love painting,especially Impressionism; and traveling with my wife; but my other love is for cooking. Over the years I have probably cooked for some 20,000 people. This includes cooking free for many groups to raise funds for worthy causes. Most of my recipes are original from me and some from my mother or my wife Dottie. This has led me to decide to share my original recipes with others. This site has 110 recipes to date! My goal is to be able to give real recipes that really are excellent. One should not expect anything exotic; but I will guarantee they will impress anyone who loves to eat. FIRST GO TO GOOGLE AND PRINT IN THE WHITE BOX FRANK ASHTON ORIGINAL RECIPES AND CLICK ON THAT. Frank Ashton Original Recipes should come up. To print a recipe save it to favorites and then click on the recipe on favorites and you will then be able to print it. THERE ARE OVER 50 VEGETARIAN (MEAT FREE) RECIPES LOOK FOR THE ASTERISK * IN FRONT OF EACH RECIPE OR WORDS VEGETARIAN STYLE

Friday, January 8, 2010

* ITALIAN STUFFED ARTICHOKE WONDER ASHTON STYLE (#3)

Every time I see someone eating boiled artichoke leaves using only butter or a cream sauce; my reaction is one of if they only had my mothers recipe for stuffed artichokes they would be astounded by the difference. This recipe was a standard fare growing up in an Italian houshold. When I got married my wife learned to make this recipe and was and still is a favorite of my four grown children. In kindergarten, my son Michael was asked along with the other children to name his favorite dinner. His answer was "Artichoke Esgehetti
Spaghetti to eveyone else. The teacher sent a note home asking what he was refering to. I would encourage you to try this recipe that I name "Artichoke Pasta wonder". This is one of the many recipes that one has to just appreciate how good it is. It also is one that is great for vegeterians. This includes Catholics for lent, or anyone who wants a meatless meal. As I made out the recipe; it sounds somewhat complicated, but its really not; just follow the recipe and don't change the ingredients or directions!

INGREDIENTS: (VEGETARIAN DISH)
1. 4 artichokes,large nice green (non black or dry)
2. 1 cup Italian style bread crumbs
3. 6 cloves garlic peeled and minced
4. 1/2 cup parmesean cheese
5. 2 tablespoon dried parsley
6. 4 large eggs
7. 1/2 tsp garlic salt & 1/2 tsp pepper
8. 1 lb linguini pasta

DIRECTIONS:
1. cut the stems off the bottom of the artichokes & take bottom leaves
off.  the stems can be put into the pot and cooked.  Their almost like a
second heart which are a favorite part of the artichoke to eat
2. cut about 1/4 off the top of the artichokes and spread open
artichokes for stuffing
3. mix bread crumbs, parsley, garlic, cheese, olive oil and 1/4 tsp
garlic salt & 1/4 tsp pepper.
4. stuff each leaf with bread crumb mixture until all are full
5. put 4 eggs into a measuring cup with 3 minced garlic cloves
a little parmesean cheese and mix well
6. pour egg mixture on top of each artichoke
7. using a 5.5 qt heavy metal pot put enough oil to barely cover
bottom of pot to help prevent sticking
8. place stuffed artichokes into the pot with the top up and add
enough water to come up to 3/4 of the artichokes
(do not put a cover on the artichokes)
9. preheat oven 350 degrees
10.bake artichokes about 15 20 minutes until tops are lightly
brown (again, do not cover)
11. remove pot from oven and place on the top of the stove(on the top
of a defuser which is about a 6 inch round pie shaped metal holy
object that some hardware stores sell and one that protects the
artichokes from burning(also good for spaghetti sauce)
12. cook on moderate heat (without a cover) until begining to boil then
reduce to simmer about two hours (check to make sure water stays about
the same during cooking (to make sure artichokes are done-pull a leaf
off and eat the end which should be tender); the choke is in the center and
is a bunch of  whitish strands that is inedible.  you can reduce the
sauce if to thin and you can add a little of any bread crumb mixture
that may be left over to help thicken sauce if desired
13. in another 5.5 soup pot fill until about half way up and salt water(about 2 tbl salt or
so) and let it come to a boil and add about a pound of linguini which you have
broken in half and cook about 8 minutes until al dente and drain
14. remove the four artichokes from the pot they cooked in and turn
them over and cut in half(never cut the artichokes on top as
they will fall apart)
15. the liquid in the pot will be the sauce to mix with the linguini
16. add this artichoke sauce over the linguini and toss together
17. this should serve 4 to 7 or 8 people (have parmesean cheese to
sprinkle on linguini and 1/2 artichoke or more per perosn;
spoon extra sauce on the linguini for each person if desired
ENJOY

No comments:

Post a Comment