About Me

My photo
FRANK ASHTON CLASSIC ITALIAN AND ADDITIONAL RECIPES: My name is Frank Ashton and I live in the Cleveland Ohio area. I was a high school art teacher for 33 years. I love painting,especially Impressionism; and traveling with my wife; but my other love is for cooking. Over the years I have probably cooked for some 20,000 people. This includes cooking free for many groups to raise funds for worthy causes. Most of my recipes are original from me and some from my mother or my wife Dottie. This has led me to decide to share my original recipes with others. This site has 110 recipes to date! My goal is to be able to give real recipes that really are excellent. One should not expect anything exotic; but I will guarantee they will impress anyone who loves to eat. FIRST GO TO GOOGLE AND PRINT IN THE WHITE BOX FRANK ASHTON ORIGINAL RECIPES AND CLICK ON THAT. Frank Ashton Original Recipes should come up. To print a recipe save it to favorites and then click on the recipe on favorites and you will then be able to print it. THERE ARE OVER 50 VEGETARIAN (MEAT FREE) RECIPES LOOK FOR THE ASTERISK * IN FRONT OF EACH RECIPE OR WORDS VEGETARIAN STYLE

Monday, February 18, 2013

SEAFOOD GUMBO, ASHTON STYLE #149

Seafood Gumbo is actually a variation of  French Boullaibaisse another great French seafood soup.  Gumbo is known from its roots in New Orleans but there are several variations. I urge you to try this gumbo recipe and let me know what you think of it. There is no denying the importance of the basic "roux" that you must use to make a good gumbo.
INGREDIENTS:
     1 lb okra, sliced
     1/2 cup virgin olive oil
     1& 1/2  sticks of butter
     2 onions minced
     4 stalks of celery minced
     1 lb fresh shrimp
     1 lb of mussels
     1 pint of oysters
     1/2 lb of crab meat
     5 cloves of garlic minced
     1 green bell pepper minced
     1 sm bunch of parsley minced
     5 stalks of green onions minced
     1 cup short rice ( I like Arborario rice)
     1 tsp File Powder
     about 2 tab of flour
     1 tsp of salt
     1 lg can of crushed tomatoes
     1 tsp of N Orleans Cajun seasoning (I like Weber)
     3 bay leaves which you will disgard later
     2 qts of  fish stock (I go to Euclid Fish Market in
     Mentor, Ohio to get fish heads and bones for $1.59 lb
      1 tsp File powder
      DIRECTIONS:
     1. in a large fry pan over moderate high heat, melt
        stick of butter and 1/4 cup virgin olive oil
    2. add onions, garlic, bell peppers and celery and saute
        until translucent
    3. in a lg soup pot, add the mussels, oysters, shrimp, crab, cajun
        seasoning parsley, bay leaves, green onions, fried okra, salt
        and continue stiring about 15  minutes
PREPARE ROUX ACCORDING TO THE RECIPE BELOW
               1. add 1/2 stick butter and1/4 cup of  virgin olive
                 oil in a large fry pan,
             2  add 1 lb of fresh okra and saute about 40 minutes
                 turning as you cook until slightly brown and set aside
             3. add an equal amount of flour 2 tab to the oil and stir
                 in well
             4. slowly add the fish stock until the roux is smooth and
                 slightly thick and pour most into the soup pot (save some)
  4. add the rest of the fish stock  and stir well. (if the liquid is too
      thick add more fish stock, if too thick add more roux)
  5, cook an addional 1hour , stiring every once in a while
  6. taste for flavor (add more salt if necessary and remove the bay leaves)
  7. take soup off burner and add the Filet Powder and stir in well
  8. this recipe will serve 6 to 8 generously

No comments:

Post a Comment