About Me

My photo
FRANK ASHTON CLASSIC ITALIAN AND ADDITIONAL RECIPES: My name is Frank Ashton and I live in the Cleveland Ohio area. I was a high school art teacher for 33 years. I love painting,especially Impressionism; and traveling with my wife; but my other love is for cooking. Over the years I have probably cooked for some 20,000 people. This includes cooking free for many groups to raise funds for worthy causes. Most of my recipes are original from me and some from my mother or my wife Dottie. This has led me to decide to share my original recipes with others. This site has 110 recipes to date! My goal is to be able to give real recipes that really are excellent. One should not expect anything exotic; but I will guarantee they will impress anyone who loves to eat. FIRST GO TO GOOGLE AND PRINT IN THE WHITE BOX FRANK ASHTON ORIGINAL RECIPES AND CLICK ON THAT. Frank Ashton Original Recipes should come up. To print a recipe save it to favorites and then click on the recipe on favorites and you will then be able to print it. THERE ARE OVER 50 VEGETARIAN (MEAT FREE) RECIPES LOOK FOR THE ASTERISK * IN FRONT OF EACH RECIPE OR WORDS VEGETARIAN STYLE

Wednesday, October 2, 2013

WINDSOR VICTORIAN BROWN SOUP, ASHTON STYLE # 208



     One of Queen Victorias favorite soup is known as Windsor Brown Soup.  This
soup was served daily and until recently was also served in the dining cars of the British Rail.  Unfortunately canned knockoffs of this soup has deminished its popularity and now even the Royals don't have it as much as they used to.   My variation of this royal soup during the 19th and early 20th century has changed some of the ingredients and I believe has made the soup as good as what the Queen of  England used to have for dinner.  I hope you will try it and let me know what you think of it!
INGREDIENTS:
     1 lb of chuck roast cut into 1 inch pieces
     1 lb of lamb also cut into 1 inch pieces
     1/2 cup of virgin olive oil
     2 medium onions, peeled and sliced
     3 or 4 carrots, peeled and cut into 2" pieces
     3 parsnips, peeled and cut into 2 inch pieces
     3 stalks of celery cut into 2 inch pieces
     2 tbls of Millers or equivilent Beef Soup Base
     1 bunch of bouquet garni (4 or so sprigs of thyme, parsley,
     4 bay leaves tied together
     3 cups of water
     1/2 tbls of chili powder
     1/2 tsp of white pepper
     1/2 cup of Madeira wine or red sweet wine
     3 tbs of flour for the meat and 2 tbls of flour
     for the roux
     1/2 stick of salted butter
     (optional: 1 tbls of Kitchen Bouquet
      for flavor and color)
DIRECTIONS:
     1. dredge the beef and lamb in the flour covering all
         sides
     2. pour the olive oil into a large fry pan over moderate
         heat and saute all the meat until well browned
         (set aside)
    3. add the onions into the pan and saute until well
       browned and set aside
    4. add the carrots, parsnips, and celery into the fry
       pan and saute until they are slightly browned
       (set aside)
   5. add the butter into the oil in the fry pan and stir
      until melted and then add the 2 tbls of flour and
      make a roux
  6. add the water and the Millers soup base
      and the bouquet garni to the pan and stir in
  7. now add the chili powder and the optional
     tbls Kitchen Bouquet  and the tsp of
      brown sugar into the pan and stir well
  8. return all the vegetables and meat and
      add the wine into the pan and simmer for
    about 1 1/2 hours
 9. remove most of the meat and the bouquet
     garni from the fry pan 
     using a standing mixer (hand held motor
      boat mixer) puree the vegtables until the
      soup is smooth
10. return the meat into the soup and
     and serve
11. this recipe will serve 6 to 8 people       
     

No comments:

Post a Comment