About Me

My photo
FRANK ASHTON CLASSIC ITALIAN AND ADDITIONAL RECIPES: My name is Frank Ashton and I live in the Cleveland Ohio area. I was a high school art teacher for 33 years. I love painting,especially Impressionism; and traveling with my wife; but my other love is for cooking. Over the years I have probably cooked for some 20,000 people. This includes cooking free for many groups to raise funds for worthy causes. Most of my recipes are original from me and some from my mother or my wife Dottie. This has led me to decide to share my original recipes with others. This site has 110 recipes to date! My goal is to be able to give real recipes that really are excellent. One should not expect anything exotic; but I will guarantee they will impress anyone who loves to eat. FIRST GO TO GOOGLE AND PRINT IN THE WHITE BOX FRANK ASHTON ORIGINAL RECIPES AND CLICK ON THAT. Frank Ashton Original Recipes should come up. To print a recipe save it to favorites and then click on the recipe on favorites and you will then be able to print it. THERE ARE OVER 50 VEGETARIAN (MEAT FREE) RECIPES LOOK FOR THE ASTERISK * IN FRONT OF EACH RECIPE OR WORDS VEGETARIAN STYLE

Tuesday, April 17, 2012

ITALIAN CALAMARI, BREADED WITH BREAD CRUMBS ASHTON STYLE #(114)

Calamari is one of those dishes that can be delicious or lousy.  The recipes I am talking about are breaded rather than in a sauce.  The first way of breading Calamri is using Italian style bread crumbs which you should add 1/4 cup of  parmesean cheese and about 2 good tablespoons of Italian spices.  The second way of breading Calamari is to mix a cup of cornmeal with a half a cup of all purpose flour.  Both of these recipes are delicious if you are careful on how you cook them.  One other item you might wish to use is for a pound of cooked Calamari sprinkle a half or more of lemon juice. (after a sprinkle of salt has been added as soon as it has come out of the oil).

RECIPE # 1 CALAMARI WITH BREAD CRUMBS, PARMESEAN CHEESE AND ADDITIONAL ITALIAN SPICES

INGREDIENTS:
1 lb of fresh Calamari from a good fish store or an equal amount frozen
2 cups of good bread crumbs
1/4 cup of parmesean cheese
2 tab of Italian spices
16 oz of peanut oil or canola oil

DIRECTIONS:
1. pour the oil into a fairly large fry pan (some 12 inches in diameter) and place over a moderate high burner and let it heat up to about 350 degrees
2. cut the calamari into rings about a quarter inch in thickness just as you are going to make this recipe.
3. In a large bowl, mix the bread crumbs, 1/4 cup of parmesean cheese and Italian spices until all is incorporated
3. bread a small amount of the Calamari at a time (about 6 or 8 rings)
4. using a screen sifter let the excess breading fall back into the bowl
5. carefully add the breaded Calamari into the oil and let cook for some 4 minutes until the Calamari is
    is light in color but crispy in looks and put it on a paper which you have put onto a plate to catch the
    excess oil (you do not want the Calamari to be greasy)
6. sprinkle some salt on the Calamari and then if you wish the juice of a half a lemon or more if you
    wish. (you may also wish to have a small dish of good spaghetti sauce for dipping)

No comments:

Post a Comment