About Me

My photo
FRANK ASHTON CLASSIC ITALIAN AND ADDITIONAL RECIPES: My name is Frank Ashton and I live in the Cleveland Ohio area. I was a high school art teacher for 33 years. I love painting,especially Impressionism; and traveling with my wife; but my other love is for cooking. Over the years I have probably cooked for some 20,000 people. This includes cooking free for many groups to raise funds for worthy causes. Most of my recipes are original from me and some from my mother or my wife Dottie. This has led me to decide to share my original recipes with others. This site has 110 recipes to date! My goal is to be able to give real recipes that really are excellent. One should not expect anything exotic; but I will guarantee they will impress anyone who loves to eat. FIRST GO TO GOOGLE AND PRINT IN THE WHITE BOX FRANK ASHTON ORIGINAL RECIPES AND CLICK ON THAT. Frank Ashton Original Recipes should come up. To print a recipe save it to favorites and then click on the recipe on favorites and you will then be able to print it. THERE ARE OVER 50 VEGETARIAN (MEAT FREE) RECIPES LOOK FOR THE ASTERISK * IN FRONT OF EACH RECIPE OR WORDS VEGETARIAN STYLE

Thursday, March 31, 2011

SPECIAL SPLIT PEA SOUP ASHTON STYLE #38)

INGREDIENTS:

     1 lb dried split peas (check for stones or off color split peas)
     2 to 2 1/2 qts water
     1 ham bone and hopefully a good lb of ham meat
     2 tab of Millers Chicken Base or eqivelant (if ham
        is salty eliminate chicken base)
     1 medium onion, peeled and minced
     4 medium carrots, scrapped cut and minced
     2 stalks of celery,cut and minced
     1 tsp coarse ground pepper

DIRECTIONS:

    1. put ham bone and ham in 2 to 2 1/2 qts of water in lg pot and boil for about
        an hr.
    2. add minced onions, carrots,celery, chicken base, and pepper and slow boil
        about a half an hour
    3. add split peas and slow boil using a defuser between the pot and the flame
        (a good hour and a half) until vegtables are melted with the split peas into
        a creamy soup (remove ham bone and let itcool and as an option you may
        wish to suck out the marrow from the bone)     
    4. make sure soup is not to thick; add water to thin to consistency of heavy      
        cream; or if to thin, continue cooking until it thickens.  At this point you may
        wish to remove the meat and set aside; and if you wish using a vertical stand
        mixer ( I call it a motor boat mixer) mix the soup to a smooth consistency;
        than after cutting meat to about i inch pieces return to the soup).
        (as an option, you may add about 4 oz of heavy cream for a lighter soup)
    5. will serve 6 generously

No comments:

Post a Comment