About Me

My photo
FRANK ASHTON CLASSIC ITALIAN AND ADDITIONAL RECIPES: My name is Frank Ashton and I live in the Cleveland Ohio area. I was a high school art teacher for 33 years. I love painting,especially Impressionism; and traveling with my wife; but my other love is for cooking. Over the years I have probably cooked for some 20,000 people. This includes cooking free for many groups to raise funds for worthy causes. Most of my recipes are original from me and some from my mother or my wife Dottie. This has led me to decide to share my original recipes with others. This site has 110 recipes to date! My goal is to be able to give real recipes that really are excellent. One should not expect anything exotic; but I will guarantee they will impress anyone who loves to eat. FIRST GO TO GOOGLE AND PRINT IN THE WHITE BOX FRANK ASHTON ORIGINAL RECIPES AND CLICK ON THAT. Frank Ashton Original Recipes should come up. To print a recipe save it to favorites and then click on the recipe on favorites and you will then be able to print it. THERE ARE OVER 50 VEGETARIAN (MEAT FREE) RECIPES LOOK FOR THE ASTERISK * IN FRONT OF EACH RECIPE OR WORDS VEGETARIAN STYLE

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

" LIVER PATE "FANTASTIC GUARINTEED" ASHTON STYLE NONE BETTER (#19)

Some years ago we were going to have a special buffet dinner for about 30 people.  In thinking about what we could serve for appetizers I thought about foie gras as a possible idea.  Then I thought of how much it would cost which was prohibitive.  I then thought of a substitute using chicken livers.  There are all kinds of recipes and from these I decided on developing my own variation which surprisingly turned out to be very good.  Of course I ended up making enough for about 100 people (the Italian method of over doing)  The recipe that I am showing you is a smaller version and even then you will have left overs which can be frozen and used at another time:

INGREDIENTS:
    1 lb of chicken livers
    1 lb of pork sausage (Johnsons bratwurst links can be substituted
    as it is almost just ground pork after you take the casing off)
    3 onions peeled, sliced in half, and cut  again into thin slices
    8oz of goose liver cut into chunks
    3 tab of Millers soup base from a jar or equivelent (no bouillon, ehh, cubes!)
    1 tab of oregano
    1 tab of ground allspice
    1 tsp ground pepper
    6 cloves of garlic, peeled & minced
    1/4 cup of flour
    1/4 to 1/2 cup brandy
    2 eggs
    4 thin strips of salt pork

DIRECTIONS: PRE HEAT OVEN TO 300 DEGREES
    1. put a half cup of virgin olive oil in a large fry pan on moderate heat    2. fry the sliced onions, continuesly stiring until light brown; add minced
        garlic and cook an addtional 5 minutes (don't burn garlic!) set aside
    3. lower heat and add sausage in same oil for an additional ten minutes
    4. using a blender mix livers, sausage, goose liver pieces,
        onions; garlic, 2 eggs 1/4 cup of brandy, all the spices, and 1/4 cup
        of flour and mix on high until well combined.  If you have the use of a
        food processer; mix in that first and then transfer into the blender
        and blend until very smooth.
    5. using a 2 qt pyrex (oven proof) glass bowl or an equivelent metal
        one place stips of salt pork in a cross form on the inside of bowl
    6. pour the pate liquid into the bowl (it should make about 6 cups)
    7. cover with foil
    8. place bowl of pate in a 9 by 13, 2 inch high glass or metal pan
    9. add water to fill about a third or so way up side of  bowl
  10. bake in the 300 degree oven for about 2 hours
  11. using a toohpick check doneness by inserting into middle of pate-
        if it comes out clean it is done; if not cook until it is clean
  12. put a plate on top the foil on the bowl and add weight to press
       the pate
  13. put a slightly larger flat plate on bowl and turn it over and
       kind of shake slightly until it drops on plate-this makes a great presentation

 THIS WILL SERVE MANY WITH CRACKERS
ENJOY!
   

No comments:

Post a Comment