About Me

My photo
FRANK ASHTON CLASSIC ITALIAN AND ADDITIONAL RECIPES: My name is Frank Ashton and I live in the Cleveland Ohio area. I was a high school art teacher for 33 years. I love painting,especially Impressionism; and traveling with my wife; but my other love is for cooking. Over the years I have probably cooked for some 20,000 people. This includes cooking free for many groups to raise funds for worthy causes. Most of my recipes are original from me and some from my mother or my wife Dottie. This has led me to decide to share my original recipes with others. This site has 110 recipes to date! My goal is to be able to give real recipes that really are excellent. One should not expect anything exotic; but I will guarantee they will impress anyone who loves to eat. FIRST GO TO GOOGLE AND PRINT IN THE WHITE BOX FRANK ASHTON ORIGINAL RECIPES AND CLICK ON THAT. Frank Ashton Original Recipes should come up. To print a recipe save it to favorites and then click on the recipe on favorites and you will then be able to print it. THERE ARE OVER 50 VEGETARIAN (MEAT FREE) RECIPES LOOK FOR THE ASTERISK * IN FRONT OF EACH RECIPE OR WORDS VEGETARIAN STYLE

Friday, May 14, 2010

COUNTRY TURKEY SOUP MAGNIFICENT ASHTON STYLE (#14)

One wonders what to do with leftover turkey after a holiday.  Certainly one can make anything from turkey salad
to turkey & gravy and many other leftover recipes.  At one time and for 11 years I was involved in doing a free Thanksgiving
Dinner for some 300 people each Thanksgiving.  It was common to have cooked some 7 or 8 turkeys.  Not much was
left over as we gave people the opportunity to take home any leftovers except the carcass.  For many years I froze them
and stored them in the high schools deep freeze.  When the Madison Athletic Department held an annual wrestling Tournament
at the high school.  I would take these carcasses and make about 12 gallons of turkey soup which was served for lunch to those
coaches who came during the days of the tournament.  This soup included homemade noodles and was a favorite with those attending
the tournament.  Everyone complimented how good this soup was and now I am going to give you the recipe that I used for
what was refered to as "TURKEY SOUP MAGNIFICENT": Incidently I suppose one could use a whole turkey but to be
honest one would have to roast the turkey first as well as the fact is that much meat would overwhelm the soup.
     I know you will enjoy it as much as the many coaches who were lucky enough to eat it!

INGREDIENTS:
    1. one turkey carcass including any left over turkey meat (size doesn't matter).
    2. 3 1/2 qts of water
    3. 3 tab of millers chicken base from a jar or equivelent
    4. 1 tsp pepper
    5  3 or 4 med onions cut in half and sliced thin
    6. 5 carrots sliced 1/4 inch
    7. 4 stalks celery sliced 1/4 inch
    8. homemade noodles if possible or some thick wide
        bought noodles

DIRECTIONS:
    1. simmer the turkey carcass bones for one hour
        in a heavy soup pot in 3 1/2 qts of water in which
        you have added the soup base
    2. remove carcass and any meat or bones and set asside to cool
        enough to handle
    3. put all the vegtables and seasoning into the stock and
       simmer about an hour more
    4. cut up any meat into 1 inch pieces and discard all the
        bones.
    5. taste the soup for flavor and seasoning
.   6  add noodles and cook about an additional 10 minutes (see following recipe)
    .
    THIS WILL SERVE 6 TO MORE THAN 10 PEOPLE

EASY HOMEMADE NOODLE RECIPE:
  INGREDIENTS:
    2 cups flour
    3 egg yolks
    1 whole egg
    1/3 to1/2 cup water
    1/4 tsp salt
DIRECTIONS:
   1 mix flour and salt
   2 pour flour on a wood cutting board
      or even a table or counter top
   3 open the center of flour
   4 mix egg yolks & egg together and put into center
     of flour
    5 using a fork begin mixing egg and flour from the
      center out
    6 add water a tab at a time  until all combined and mixture is crumbly
    7 roll into a ball and flatten on floured surface
    8 using a rolling pin roll dough to about 1/8th thickness
    9 using a sharp knife cut strips about 1/4 inch wide
   10 carefully put into soup and cook about 10 minutes
      (make sure noodles are not hard just chewy firm)

ENJOY

No comments:

Post a Comment