About Me

My photo
FRANK ASHTON CLASSIC ITALIAN AND ADDITIONAL RECIPES: My name is Frank Ashton and I live in the Cleveland Ohio area. I was a high school art teacher for 33 years. I love painting,especially Impressionism; and traveling with my wife; but my other love is for cooking. Over the years I have probably cooked for some 20,000 people. This includes cooking free for many groups to raise funds for worthy causes. Most of my recipes are original from me and some from my mother or my wife Dottie. This has led me to decide to share my original recipes with others. This site has 110 recipes to date! My goal is to be able to give real recipes that really are excellent. One should not expect anything exotic; but I will guarantee they will impress anyone who loves to eat. FIRST GO TO GOOGLE AND PRINT IN THE WHITE BOX FRANK ASHTON ORIGINAL RECIPES AND CLICK ON THAT. Frank Ashton Original Recipes should come up. To print a recipe save it to favorites and then click on the recipe on favorites and you will then be able to print it. THERE ARE OVER 50 VEGETARIAN (MEAT FREE) RECIPES LOOK FOR THE ASTERISK * IN FRONT OF EACH RECIPE OR WORDS VEGETARIAN STYLE

Sunday, June 16, 2013

CALAMARI WITH VEGTABLES AND PENNE PASTA, ASHTON STYLE #165

CALAMARI IS SQUID THAT THOUSANDS OF  YEARS WAS USED FOR BAIT TO CATCH BIGGER FISH.  THE ONLY PEOPLE WHO USED IT FOR FOOD WERE THE POOR.  I WOULDN'T TELL MY WIFE DOTTIE THAT AS IT IS ONE OF HER FAVORITE DISHES ESPECIALLY BREADED AND DEEP FRIED.  THE FOLLOWING RECIPE IS NOT BREADED OR FRIED BUT IT IS ANOTHER GREAT WAY OF MAKING THIS INEXPENSIVE SEAFOOD

INGREDIENTS:
     1 lb calamari, cleaned and cut
     into rings
     4 small zuccini cut into srips
     1 can arichoke hearts, drained
     rinced and cut in half
     3 carrots, peeled and juliene cut
     1/2 lb porcini or crimini mushrooms
     cut in half
     2 onions, peeled, cut in half and sliced
     1/2 cup virgin olive oil
     juice of one lemon
     1/2 cup of sparkling white wine
     1 tsp sea salt (sea salt is not as salty
     as regular salt
     1/2 tsp white pepper
     1 lb penne pasta
DIRECTIONS:
     1. cut the ends off the zuccinis
         and then cut into strips and set aside
     2. cut the mushrooms in half and
         set aside
     3. peel the carrots and then cut them
         juliene style and set aside
     4. peel the onions, cut in half and slice
     5. smash and peel the garlic and mince
     6.clean and then cut the calamari into
         rings and set aside
     7. cut the artichoke hearts in half and set
         aside
     8. pour the 1/2 cup virgin olive oil into a
         large fry pan over moderate heat
     9. add the onion, garlic and saute about
         10 minutes or so
    10. add the zuccini, artichoke hearts, carrots,
          capers, mushrooms, and calamari and saute
          about an additional 15 minutes
    11. sprinkle salt and pepper, the juice of
          one lemon and the white wine over the
          ingredients and stir lightly about ten more minutes
    12.  make the penne pasta according to the box
           and drain
    13. in a large bowl first pour the pasta into the
          bowl then the rest of the ingredients
          over the pasta and stir in and serve
    14. this recipe will serve 6 or more generously
        
  
    

No comments:

Post a Comment