About Me

My photo
FRANK ASHTON CLASSIC ITALIAN AND ADDITIONAL RECIPES: My name is Frank Ashton and I live in the Cleveland Ohio area. I was a high school art teacher for 33 years. I love painting,especially Impressionism; and traveling with my wife; but my other love is for cooking. Over the years I have probably cooked for some 20,000 people. This includes cooking free for many groups to raise funds for worthy causes. Most of my recipes are original from me and some from my mother or my wife Dottie. This has led me to decide to share my original recipes with others. This site has 110 recipes to date! My goal is to be able to give real recipes that really are excellent. One should not expect anything exotic; but I will guarantee they will impress anyone who loves to eat. FIRST GO TO GOOGLE AND PRINT IN THE WHITE BOX FRANK ASHTON ORIGINAL RECIPES AND CLICK ON THAT. Frank Ashton Original Recipes should come up. To print a recipe save it to favorites and then click on the recipe on favorites and you will then be able to print it. THERE ARE OVER 50 VEGETARIAN (MEAT FREE) RECIPES LOOK FOR THE ASTERISK * IN FRONT OF EACH RECIPE OR WORDS VEGETARIAN STYLE

Monday, July 25, 2011

*FRIED GREEN TOMATOS ITALIAN, ASHTON STYLE #(66)

The first time I knew about "Fried Green Tomatos" was the film of the same name.  From that I learned that it was a Southern reicipe that many loved to eat.  In the film the one thing that was evident was that they were fried in oil and looked very greasy.  I then tried to make them according to the recipe from the deep South.  What I found is that they can be greasy but did taste good.  Some time later I decided to try an Italian version adding basil and oregano and Parmesean cheese.  I found I like this recipe even better and the following is the recipe: ENJOY

INGREDIENTS
     4 medium tomatos cut a little less than 1/2 inch
     1 cup of flour
     1/2 cup of white or yellow corn meal
     1cup Italian style bread crumbs
     1/2 tsp oregano
     1 cup buttermilk
     3/4 cup virgin olive oil
     1/2 tsp basil
     1/2 tsp salt
     1/2 tsp coarse ground pepper
     1 jumbo egg
    
DIRECTIONS
     1. cut the tomatos in slices a little less than 1/2 inch
     2. mix all the dry ingredients in a large bowl
     3. mix the jumbo egg and buttermilk together in a bowl
     4. dredge each slice of green tomato on both sides in flour,
         then into the egg/buttermilk, then into the Italian corn meal mix
     5. heat the virgin olive oil in a large fry pan over moderate heat
     6. fry no more than 3 slices of  coated tomatos at about 3 to 5 minutes
         at a time until browned; then turn them over and fry the other side
         the same amount of time until browned.
     7. remove them from the oil and place on paper towels to absorb oil
     8. serves 4 person generously
     9. you may wish to use the ranch dressing recipe # (60) as a great
         sauce to put on them before serving
        
    
    
    

No comments:

Post a Comment