About Me

My photo
FRANK ASHTON CLASSIC ITALIAN AND ADDITIONAL RECIPES: My name is Frank Ashton and I live in the Cleveland Ohio area. I was a high school art teacher for 33 years. I love painting,especially Impressionism; and traveling with my wife; but my other love is for cooking. Over the years I have probably cooked for some 20,000 people. This includes cooking free for many groups to raise funds for worthy causes. Most of my recipes are original from me and some from my mother or my wife Dottie. This has led me to decide to share my original recipes with others. This site has 110 recipes to date! My goal is to be able to give real recipes that really are excellent. One should not expect anything exotic; but I will guarantee they will impress anyone who loves to eat. FIRST GO TO GOOGLE AND PRINT IN THE WHITE BOX FRANK ASHTON ORIGINAL RECIPES AND CLICK ON THAT. Frank Ashton Original Recipes should come up. To print a recipe save it to favorites and then click on the recipe on favorites and you will then be able to print it. THERE ARE OVER 50 VEGETARIAN (MEAT FREE) RECIPES LOOK FOR THE ASTERISK * IN FRONT OF EACH RECIPE OR WORDS VEGETARIAN STYLE

Sunday, June 5, 2011

* LOBSTER OR SHRIMP NEWBURG ASHTON STYLE (#57)

     I don't quite remember when I first had Lobster Newburg but I do know how much I enjoyed it and have ever since.  There are many variations but the original was created in 1876 at Delmonicos Restaurant in New York City.  The actual creator was Ben Weinburg a sea captain and was orignally named for him "Lobster Weinburg".  An argument between Weinburg and Charles Delmonico caused the name to be changed to what we now call Lobster Newburg.  For Lobster Newburg use two to three 1 1/4 lb lobsters cooked and the lobster removed from the shell.  One can use different seafood such as shrimp which we are using here; sea scallops, or even a salmon variation recipe that is made slightly different than this recipe.  My shrimp variation is more complicated than the original Lobster Newburg recipe but what the heck try both and decide which one you like better though this recipe is a variation that I enjoy as much as the orginal. This also can be made as a meatless meal using Penzeys Vegtable base instead of the Millers Chicken base

INGREDIENTS:
2 lbs extra large or jumbo shrimp (about 25 shrimp per pound)
1 1/4 pound lobster
8 oz heavy cream
8 oz creme fraich made from 4 oz of  sour cream or buttermilk and 8 oz of heavy cream
mixed together and allowed to set until very thick (or commercial creme fraich)
8oz of virgin olive oil
1 stick of butter
1 medium onion, peeled and minced
1 tsp white pepper or a 1/2 tsp of  cayenne pepper for pursts
2 tab of Millers or Penzeys Vegtable  soup base
1 tsp saffron

DIRECTIONS:
     1. pour the olive oil in a large fry pan and add cut up
        butter over moderate heat until melted but not brown
     2. add the minced onions and fry until translucent
     3. add the 2 lbs of shrimp and fry until pink (and set aside)
         until cool and remove the shells and put them into a qt
        of water.and put the lobster into boiling water for 6 or 7 minutes,
         remove and cut  all the lobster meat into small pieces.
        take all the lobster shells and put them in th same small pot the
        shrimp shells are in and boil about 15 minutes (add water to keep
        the amount the same as you started).
     4. add the sherry wine into the soup pot and stir
     5. add the heavy cream slowly until incorporated
     6. add the 2 tab Millers Chicken or Penzeys Vegtable soup base
     7. add the creme fraich stiring as you add until incorporated
     8. strain the lobster and shrimp shells and add to the soup pot
     9. add the tsp of Saffron
    10. return the shrimp stir in until hot
    11.  this will serve 4 to 6 generously ENJOY

OPTION:
    3/4 lb of  Linquini cooked according to the box and plated
    and add sauce

No comments:

Post a Comment