About Me

My photo
FRANK ASHTON CLASSIC ITALIAN AND ADDITIONAL RECIPES: My name is Frank Ashton and I live in the Cleveland Ohio area. I was a high school art teacher for 33 years. I love painting,especially Impressionism; and traveling with my wife; but my other love is for cooking. Over the years I have probably cooked for some 20,000 people. This includes cooking free for many groups to raise funds for worthy causes. Most of my recipes are original from me and some from my mother or my wife Dottie. This has led me to decide to share my original recipes with others. This site has 110 recipes to date! My goal is to be able to give real recipes that really are excellent. One should not expect anything exotic; but I will guarantee they will impress anyone who loves to eat. FIRST GO TO GOOGLE AND PRINT IN THE WHITE BOX FRANK ASHTON ORIGINAL RECIPES AND CLICK ON THAT. Frank Ashton Original Recipes should come up. To print a recipe save it to favorites and then click on the recipe on favorites and you will then be able to print it. THERE ARE OVER 50 VEGETARIAN (MEAT FREE) RECIPES LOOK FOR THE ASTERISK * IN FRONT OF EACH RECIPE OR WORDS VEGETARIAN STYLE

Tuesday, February 2, 2010

* MANHATTEN CLAM CHOWDER ASHTON STYLE (#7)

MANHATTEN CLAM CHOWDER

When the neighbors decided to have a clambake, I was chosen to be the cook.
This meant buying the supplies as well as cooking the food. I decided to make two
kinds of clam chowder-Manhatten style and New England style. The first has a tomato
base and the second a milk base. They are as different as night and day but both are great chowders. This Manhatten recipe is unique in that I also include ground meat. I know this, make them according to the recipe and test them on your family before serving them to your friends or neighbors. This recipe will serve ten to fifteen or more people.

INGREDIENTS: (VEGETARIAN SYTLE ELIMINATE CHICKEN AND USE VEG BASE INSTEAD)
 1 whole chicken boiled 1 1/2 hours in one gal of water with
 2 tab of chicken base from a jar (not those lousy boullion cubes)
2 dz cherrystone or top neck clams
1/2 cup of virgin olive oil
1 lb of potatos cut into 1/2 inch pieces
 6oz salt pork cut into small pieces-disgard rine
 2 medium onions minced
 4 carrots cut into small pieces
 4 stalks of celery cut into small pieces
 1 large leek (white part only) cut into small rounds
 1green pepper cut into small pieces
 6 cloves of garlic smashed and minced
 1 can of Contadina tomato paste
 1 lg can of crushed tomatos
 1 lb of browned ground beef
 1 tab of oregano
 2 tab of basil
 1 tsp of black pepper (no salt as there is enough with clams
 1 tab of hot sauce or to your individual taste

DIRECTIONS:
1. boil chicken 1 1/2 hrs in about one gal of water with 2 tab of chicken base
   remove chicken and save for chicken salad or something else (save chicken water)
2. rince and scrub 2 dz clams so that all the sand is removed
3. place clams into 2 cups of chicken water in a 5.5 qt pot and cook
   over medium heat until all the clams open up (do not use any clams that do not open)
4. let clams cool and then mince them
5. using a lg fry pan, on medium heat fry salt pork in 1/2 cup of olive oil until brown and set aside
6. in same fry pan on medium heat add cup up minced onions, carrots, leeks, celery, garlic, and green    pepper and fry until slightly brown and set aside (constantly stiring because if you burn them you start over!
7. add one can tomato paste and continue to stir for about 5 minutes
8. add one can of crushed tomatos and spices and hot sauce and stir an additional
ten minutes
9. brown ground meat in separate fry pan and add all ingredients into
the pot of chicken water and cook for about an hour or so (stir every so often)
10. taste for salt
11. serves 10 to 15 persons or more. for fewer people you can adjust recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment