About Me

My photo
FRANK ASHTON CLASSIC ITALIAN AND ADDITIONAL RECIPES: My name is Frank Ashton and I live in the Cleveland Ohio area. I was a high school art teacher for 33 years. I love painting,especially Impressionism; and traveling with my wife; but my other love is for cooking. Over the years I have probably cooked for some 20,000 people. This includes cooking free for many groups to raise funds for worthy causes. Most of my recipes are original from me and some from my mother or my wife Dottie. This has led me to decide to share my original recipes with others. This site has 110 recipes to date! My goal is to be able to give real recipes that really are excellent. One should not expect anything exotic; but I will guarantee they will impress anyone who loves to eat. FIRST GO TO GOOGLE AND PRINT IN THE WHITE BOX FRANK ASHTON ORIGINAL RECIPES AND CLICK ON THAT. Frank Ashton Original Recipes should come up. To print a recipe save it to favorites and then click on the recipe on favorites and you will then be able to print it. THERE ARE OVER 50 VEGETARIAN (MEAT FREE) RECIPES LOOK FOR THE ASTERISK * IN FRONT OF EACH RECIPE OR WORDS VEGETARIAN STYLE

Tuesday, January 24, 2012

MEAT LOAF ITALIAN, ASHTON STYLE (#105)

    Some years ago we made a meat loaf for dinner. My youngest daughter Kathleen not only didn't like it but refused to eat it. I would like to say that she now likes it but alas, she still doesn't like it and neither does her husband Matt.  Personally I have always enjoyed it. The recipe I am giving you is an Italian variation of this traditional American dinner. I hope you will try it and like it! ENJOY

INGREDIENTS:
     1 1/2 to 2 lbs of ground round or chuck
     1 1/2 cups of Stove Top Stuffing that you
     crumble either by putting it in a large plastic
     gallon bag and smashing it with a food mallet
     or putting it in a food processer and lightly
     pulse it but not totally too fine
     2 eggs
     1 cup of minced onions
     1 cup of an additional peeled and sliced
        onions
     4 medium pototaoes, peeled and cut into
        four pieces in length each
     4 carrots, peeled and cut in two
     1/2 cup of parmesean cheese
     6 cloves of peeled and minced garlic
     1/2 cup of white port wine
     1/2 cup of Pinot Grigio white wine
     1 tab of mixed Italian spices
     1/2 tsp kosher salt
     1/2 tsp coarse pepper

DIRECTIONS:
     1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees
     2. put the ground meat into a large bowl
     3. add the bread crumbs, minced onions,
         minced garlic, parmesean cheese, 2 eggs,
         salt and pepper and mixed Italian spices
         and mix by hand until all is well incorporated
     4. form the mixture into a loaf form and put
         it into a 9 inch by 13 inch by about 2 inches
         deep metal or glass pan
     5. pour the olive oil into a large fry pan over
         moderate heat
     6. add the sliced onions and saute until slightly
         brown and sprinkle around the meat loaf
     7. now add the potatoes and carrots around the
         meat loaf       

    FOR THE TOPPING:
     INGREDIENTS:
      1 cup of Contadina crushed tomatoes
      1/2 cup of peeled and sliced onions
      1/4cup of virgin olive oil
      4 cloves of peeled and minced garlic
      1 tab of mixed Italian spices
      1/2 cup of dry Italian red wine
      1/2 tsp kosher salt
      1 pinch of red pepper flakes
DIRECTIIONS:
   1. pour the oil into a large fry pan
   2. heat oil over moderate heat
   3. add the sliced onions and garlic,
       Italian spices, salt and pinch of
       of red pepper flakes and saute
       until slightly brown
   4. add the crushed tomatoes and
       stir until incorporated
   5. add the red wine and stir for
       about 10 to 15 minutes

   6. bake the meat loaf about 30 minutes
   7. spread the sauce  over the top of the meat
       loaf
   . put into the pre heated oven and
       bake about an addtional 20 minutes
     

    

No comments:

Post a Comment